Topic: change boot partition?

Can gparted change the boot partition for real?  I have multiple flavors of ubuntu on one hdd and want to change the one that boots by default; using the kubuntu live CD I set the 'active' partition to the one I wanted, and this shows up as 'boot' in gparted, but the default boot is still to the one I don't want.  I'm doubtless missing some part of the picture here ...

Re: change boot partition?

Hi !
Well i wonder if you really understand something : linux dont care if a partition if bootable or not. What you need to do boot another partition is to set it in your bootloader (grub i guess, or maybe lilo), by editing the grub.conf (or menu.lst) file.
Do you know this ? (i may misunderstand what you ask...)

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Sort of, but I was confused by the question of, if there are multiple partitions each with their own /boot directory, which one does it look at?  The answer appears to be the last, I'm not sure if this is in chronological order of creation, or sequential order on the hdd (I'd guess the latter).  Anyway, editing the /boot/menu.lst file on the last partition did the job. (for the benefit of the next straying Micro$erf).

Only one partition can be set bootable on a hard drive (i mean with the toggle "bootable")

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)