1 (edited by gedakc 2016-05-04 22:26:04)

Topic: [SOLVED] Built in hex editor for Master Boot Records

Option to edit the MBR of a selected partition with a simple built in hex editor.

This is actually editing a partition so it qualifies as a non-ridiculous request. smile

Re: [SOLVED] Built in hex editor for Master Boot Records

With many good hex editors already available, such as hexedit , what would be the advantage of adding hex editing capability to the GParted application?

My initial thoughts are that if GParted has missed updating some important meta data on the disk, then such an event would be considered a bug to be fixed.  The end user should not usually need to edit hex codes directly.

But who saying "GParted" or "Parted" messed up the meta data? smile This could be caused by accident or by another partition editor. It's a bit intimidating for an average computer user to use dd and hexedit from the command line. Somebody could right click on a partition in GParted and select "Edit MBR", edit it, and then select save. Much easier.

It's just an idea. If nobody else agrees, then it's not the end of the world, right? smile

I agree that it is easier for many users to click on a partition to select it, as opposed to learning the device name to type on a command line.

If the data in the MBR is incorrect, it takes a good understanding of partitions and file systems and the boot record structure to even attempt to fix the problem.  A person who has acquired such knowledge should be comfortable using a hex editor from the command line.  But then again, that is just my opinion.  :-/

So far cmdr has been very helpful providing advice to users on how to use fix these types of problems.  cmdr even wrote a tool called MC_HxEd for just this purpose.