Topic: Reformat

Have gparted live cd, loads ok. Have 2 partions fat32, with 2000pro mounted. How do i reformat the partions to remove 2000 and keep them fat32? Have an idea but am not sure, and my Wester Digital disk will not reconize the disc now so can not set it to all 0's

Re: Reformat

Hi Gbear,
I am not sure i really understand what's up :-/
What is exactly your problem ?
BTW which GParted version do you use ? livecd, or compilled version for your os ? And what is this os (if there is one) ??

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

My problem is as stated in previous post. I want to reformat my fat32 partions to get rid of windows 2000. I find no 'reformat' in the partions menu. I want to keep them as fat 32, so can install another OS. I  am a first time user of gparted, but just using the format fat32 in the partions menu does not do away with 2000. Since I loaded the gparted live cd my western digital diagnostic disk will not reconize it as a WD drive, so that I can reformat the drive. If there is a way to undo gparted and return the drives orginal format before installing gparted that would be alright also.
thanksfor the reply, I hope I have explained it a little better this time. I down loaded the live cd 3 days ago but didn't write the version on the cd.

Gbear wrote:

Since I loaded the gparted live cd my western digital diagnostic disk will not reconize it as a WD drive, so that I can reformat the drive.

FRom which os did you run this tool ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Did not run from a os. Booted from the live cd.

could you please try the *very* last version of the livecd, which is atm the beta-8.4.1 ? You can download it from : http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=313
Hardware detection has been imporved !
thx !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I guess that I must try once again to explain my problem or question as mentioned in my posts.
HARDWARE DETECTION BY QPARTED IS NOT MY PROBLEM. It works fine but when I booted my machine with the live cd, and qparted was installed on the hard drive, it reads the partitions.
What I want to know is there a way to reformat the fat32 partitions that appear on the gparted screen that will remove the os windows 2000 pro, so that i have a blank fat32 partitions, using gparted???

Young man, you should know that bugs are fixed from one version to another one, so if you dont tell me what version you use, i cant tell you anything.
To format a pratition, right click on it and chose format and then chose the file system you want to !
have a look at the odcs :http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/generalities/gparted.htm (figures 10 and 11)

BTW you talk two times of "Qparted" ------> i am only trying to support Gparted tongue

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Thanks, for the complement,(young man) by the way my birthday is 3-3-33, how old are you anyway? LOL. 
Thanks your 2nd sentence in your last post was the'how to' I needed. My problem is fixed.
Sorry about the Qparted, sometimes my arthritis isn't as bad as my eyesite.
I am just new to gparted not DOS or Windahs, but have switched to Ubuntu on my 5 puters. Had just cleared the partitions with a dos boot disk, when your post came in. You saved me some time, Thanks, I dont like to make mistakes.
Again THANKS!

Ha, ha, ha !
Well i am only 40, and not yet ! big_smile
I guess linux keeps you as a young man since all is a problem of heart, isnt it ? wink

Happy to give you some more help when you need smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin