1 (edited by dmbfan 2006-08-20 06:09:13)

Topic: having HD problems

ok, let me first describe my situation.

im currently running windows xp media on my dell xps 400. i would very much like to dual boot unbuntu.

my problem: partitioning the hard drive.

i have the ubuntu live cd all made and everything, and am even typing this while running ubuntu from the cd.

when i run the gparted program it seems to find two seperate 149.01 GB hard drives. /dev/sda  and  /dev/sdb. both are completely unallocated. how can this be? i run windows on this computer every day. is it possible that i have yet ANOTHER hard drive for windows? how do i check my hard drive configuration? i ordered this computer custom built from dell supposedly with a single 320 GB hard drive. very confused right now.

Re: having HD problems

it seems that you run gparted from the ubunutu livecd, right ?
If it is could you try to run gparted from the gparted_livecd ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

ive tried running the gparted livecd but this is what happens:

first it loads the kernel successfully. then it says "crc error"  and switches to a menu screen.

"Some kernal modules could not be auto loaded. This menu gives the option to pick from a list and load. Most people can skip this."

the options on the menu are as follows:

Skip extra boot options.
SCSI/SATA
RAID
SHELL
ram
manual video card
Done

at the bottom there is "OK" and "Cancel"

since i have no idea what im doing at this point i decide to skip the extra options and see what happens.

"booting from dev/hda"
"GPartEd LiveCD found. Ready!"
then something happens very quicky that i can not totally see and the next thing i know this pops up
"uvdevd - event...(#)"
"failed: no such file or directory"

this goes on and on and the event #'s just keep ascending.

so at this point i am forced to manually turn the power off on my computer. when i turn i back on i take the cd out and something very interesting came up.

"Drive 4 not found. Parrallel ATA DATA-0 (PRI IDE Master)"

"RAID Volumes:"
ID   Name    Level               Strip      Size        Status         Bootable?
0    Array   RAID0(Stripe)   128KB   298.0GB    Normal       Yes

"Physical Disks:"
Port   Drive Model       Serial #       Size           Type/Status (Vol ID)
0     ST3160828AS     5MT34C0V   149GB        Member Disk (0)
2     ST3160828AS     5MT34ARL   149GB        Member Disk (0)

I dont exactly know what all that means... but im guessing its something about me having two hard drives and my computer acting like there is only one? Maybe?

i think this one belongs in livemedia, let's see if we can solve your problems smile

"Some kernal modules could not be auto loaded. This menu gives the option to pick from a list and load. Most people can skip this."

the options on the menu are as follows:

Skip extra boot options.
SCSI/SATA
RAID
SHELL
ram
manual video card
Done

at the bottom there is "OK" and "Cancel"

Select the RAID option and load "all" the modules in that tab for starters. See if that does anything.