1 (edited by jama 2007-01-23 00:01:00)

Topic: Computer well and truly unusable [Resolved with format and reinstall]

I used the live CD to make some changes and now have an unusable laptop.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I had 3 partitions on my drive.  First partition 1, empty. Partition 2, WinXP. Partition 3, Vista.  I removed Partition 1 knowing that I wouldn't be able to boot until I made some further modifications.  The problem is now the machine will not only not boot but neither will the Windows CD to give me access toi the console.  When I say the CD won't boot I can start the boot process and start the windows install process, it then extracts files as expected but instead of a menu I then get a blank screen and that's it.

I can't see how this started after editing partitions, but it worked fine before.  This is a new one to me. I recreated the blank partition expecting to be able to boot and nothing changed.

Regards, James

Re: Computer well and truly unusable [Resolved with format and reinstall]

jama wrote:

I used the live CD to make some changes and now have an unusable laptop.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I had 3 partitions on my drive.  First partition 1, empty. Partition 2, WinXP. Partition 3, Vista.  I removed Partition 1 knowing that I wouldn't be able to boot until I made some further modifications.  The problem is now the machine will not only not boot but neither will the Windows CD to give me access toi the console.  When I say the CD won't boot I can start the boot process and start the windows install process, it then extracts files as expected but instead of a menu I then get a blank screen and that's it.

I can't see how this started after editing partitions, but it worked fine before.  This is a new one to me. I recreated the blank partition expecting to be able to boot and nothing changed.

Regards, James

Hi James,
Did i miss something or you didnt mention any operation you made with GParted...??
BTW which livecd did you use ?
Only beta version has Vista resizing enable.

Please be more explicit, so we can try to give you some help...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

3 (edited by jama 2007-01-15 14:09:49)

Thanks Larry.

LiveCD version 0.3.2

I deleted partition 1, the unallocated space.  I then moved partition 2, WinXP, forward (to left). Finally, I expanded partition 3, Vista, to fill the remaining space.  This then left me with 2 partitions with WinXP on 1 and Vista on 2.

I expected a no boot scenario initially, but didn't expect the windows setup disk to no longer actually run the setup options.

Regards, James

livecd 0.3.2 is not able to resize vista since vista is seen as an NT4 fs :-/
Which is weird is that you cant boot any cd anymore !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

jama : do you still have the problem ?
Your laptop doesnt boot anymore ? You have a blicking underscore at the top left ?
Please tell me if is this, 'cause i know what it is...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

6 (edited by jama 2007-01-22 23:59:47)

Hi Larry

I have just finished a full format and reinstall of both OS's.

I am not surprised about Vista not work but XP was disappointing.  Before I formatted I did try a boot disk which did get me into XP but I couldn't get it to work with out it.  I rewrote the MBR repaired the boot sector, etc all to no avail.

I would be interested to know what you found.

Regards, James

The problem you had may come from memory cache which is not empty on exit ! So you just need to unplug all electric cable and remove battery during 5 sec. Then replug and .... boot smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin