Topic: 0.7 not working with Areca RAID? When kernel 2.6.19 & gparted 0.34?

Consider this a polite and gentle request for a GParted LiveCD that's running on Linux 2.6.19 and has the integer overflow fix for large volumes.

I've run an older GParted from the latest Knoppix (5.1.1) LiveCD. It recognizes my Areca RAID (thanks to the driver *finally* being included in Linux 2.6.19), but my 1.7 TB array overflows GParted.

So, I was pleased to find out you had a LiveCD distro and just tried that. 0.7 may have the integer overflow fix, but I can't get far enough to find out, because it's running off Linux kernel 2.6.18, and therefore doesn't have the driver to recognize my RAID.

If a suitable release (beta or whatever) comes along while I'm not looking, I'd very much appreciate a reply to this topic -- I'll subscribe to the topic. My server is effectively shut down until I can rejigger the partitions..

Thanks much.

Stew

Re: 0.7 not working with Areca RAID? When kernel 2.6.19 & gparted 0.34?

okay, i will try to do this asap smile
Remind me if it takes too long wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

3 (edited by Patrick Verner 2007-03-21 01:18:51)

Parted Magic has 2.6.19.2 and the newest GParted.

Patrick Verner
www.partedmagic.com

StewLG wrote:

Consider this a polite and gentle request for a GParted LiveCD that's running on Linux 2.6.19 and has the integer overflow fix for large volumes.

I've run an older GParted from the latest Knoppix (5.1.1) LiveCD. It recognizes my Areca RAID (thanks to the driver *finally* being included in Linux 2.6.19), but my 1.7 TB array overflows GParted.

So, I was pleased to find out you had a LiveCD distro and just tried that. 0.7 may have the integer overflow fix, but I can't get far enough to find out, because it's running off Linux kernel 2.6.18, and therefore doesn't have the driver to recognize my RAID.

If a suitable release (beta or whatever) comes along while I'm not looking, I'd very much appreciate a reply to this topic -- I'll subscribe to the topic. My server is effectively shut down until I can rejigger the partitions..

Thanks much.

Stew

I have enable areca driver in the kenrel but it failed to boot as you may see. But you could give it a try : http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=313
maybe beta 0.8 will run ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

5 (edited by StewLG 2007-01-18 00:48:25)

Larry:

Thanks for making a build for me -- that was awfully kind of you!

As it turns out, partedmagic seems to have both 2.6.19 and a current-enough GParted -- I'm currently running that to repartition the array. Thanks Patrick for the tip.

I'm truly impressed by GParted -- its really great to see an open source tool as apparently high quality as Partition Magic, especially given the manual fdisk tweaks I've done in the past only after backing up and assuming I was about to lose everything.

It looks like it is going to take several days or more to complete, however -- last I checked the estimated time remaining was 36 hours, and that was only for the first step of 6!

Thanks again to everyone. I'll let you know next week how the repartition turns out, and at that time Larry I'll try your latest build to see if it recognizes my array. (And don't worry - I am backed up.)

Stew

Stew : i got a new iso with arcmsr enable ! And it boots :-p !

You will find it here in a few mn : http://gparted.free.fr/gparted_livecd-beta-0.8.3.iso

Larry
GParted-project Admin