1 (edited by patrickm 2007-01-19 21:42:20)

Topic: [SOLVED] Laptop screen permanently blank after using GParted

Last night I tried using the GParted LiveCD 0.3.3 with my Toshiba laptop to resize my Windows XP partition and make room for a Linux installation. I skipped the extra boot options and went with the default screen depth and resolution settings, but then when GParted tried to load the GUI the screen went static. OK, so I guess it didn't recognize my video card (ATI Radeon Xpress 200). It sounds like this might be fixed in the latest betas. However when I restarted my computer, the screen went totally blank, and has been that way ever since.

I've tried the obvious troubleshooting stuff, like cycling through the display priorities to make sure it's not set for an external monitor, or actually connecting an external monitor. I've booted both from hard disk and the GParted LiveCD (or at least tried - the computer seems to still be running), and the screen always remains blank. I'm pretty certain nothing is being displayed, so it's not just a problem with the backlight.

Admittedly, I'm not certain this is a GParted issue, but it seems like too much of a coincidence that my screen hardware would have failed at that exact instant... any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: [SOLVED] Laptop screen permanently blank after using GParted

Patrick,
So you dindt even launch GParted since it cant be launched without graphical mode, right ?
What about your laptop : is it new or old, what kinda windows do you run ?

thx

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

BTW : i guess the problem could come from memory cahce. I am currently trying to reproduce it.
Could you just try to remove your battery and unplug electric cables during 5 seconds, and then replug all and see if it makes any differnece ?

thx !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Hey Larry, thanks so much for the help. It looks like you were right about the memory cache - I followed your instructions and now the laptop works fine. Just some fluke thing I guess.

Sometime today I'll try again with the latest version of GParted and see how it goes. I've marked this as solved.

happy with you.
In the past i remember i had exactly this problem, but, i didnt remember how i solved it wink
Now, i remember :-D

Larry
GParted-project Admin