Topic: After shrink of NTFS partition, I have the dreaded blinking underscore

We just purchased a Compaq machine with a 200Gb SATA drive.  It has a FAT32 recovery partition  at the end of the drive.

I booted the Live cd of Beta 0.4 to shrink the primary NTFS partition of XP Media Center 2005, since
I did not need a 180 Gb system partition...  So, everything worked fine, it seemed. 

Unfortunately, a small amount of unallocated space was left "before" this partition, and when rebooted, the BIOS gave a "disk read error" message.  So, using GParted, I moved (left) the primary partition (so that there was no unallocated space).   This time, upon reboot, I received the friendly blinking underscore.

Anyone have a clue?

(I thought maybe GRUB could fix this, so I set up a EXT3 partition, installed SUSE 10.2, which runs fine.
However, when selecting "WINDOWS 1" from GRUB menu, I still receive blinking underscore.)

Thanks

Re: After shrink of NTFS partition, I have the dreaded blinking underscore

Some questions :
- you are not currently using Vista, are you ?
- I guess there is something wrong with bootsector and might edit it using hexedit , but this is another story, and not for beginner. How are you about that ?

I dont thing the amount of free space before your partition makes anything wrong.
This may come from the size of the partition, maybe, but i dont think so.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)