Topic: Live CD does not detect USB mouse or keyboard

well the title says it all. is there a way to boot so it would detect them or do i have to use ps/2 connections?

Re: Live CD does not detect USB mouse or keyboard

i'm not an expert on the livecd, but i think a little bit info about your hardware could help.

thanks

you surely could try ps2 connection, but it is possible that usb keybord is not still implemented.... Patrick will see this asap...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

"well the title says it all. is there a way to boot so it would detect them or do i have to use ps/2 connections?"

If you can't even get past the first boot promt it's your bios settings. Please be more discriptive or don't ask for help.

5 (edited by alejo 2006-09-07 19:32:47)

Patrick Verner wrote:

If you can't even get past the first boot promt it's your bios settings. Please be more discriptive or don't ask for help.

eeasy! sorry i just assumed a little too much.

i am getting past the bios (the BIOS recognizes the kybrd); it boots no problem it (GParted) recognizes everything as far as the drives go. once it finishes booting and i get to the first option screen i cant choose anything, both the mouse and keyboard do not respond.

i guess i should have not said "boot" that was my mistake, it does boot, and i WOULD like some help please.

Specs:

keyboard: MS natural ergo 4000 USB
mouse: Logitech track ball USB
box: Compaq presario sr1650nx

i will gladly list more specs if neccesary but i just dont see why anything else is needed.

in genereral the live cds i have tried load my kbrd and mouse with the exception of PCLOS.
Ubuntu, MEPIS, Korora and...well that all i can think of right now.

EDIT: if it makes a difference, i just looked at the versions available and i have V .2.5-5 not the latest version.

Thank you for any help or guidence you may be able to provide.

Hi alejo,

I don't know if it'll solve this problem, but i strongly advice you to use the latest livecd.

thnx.

i take it this issue has not been heard in the past?  Thanks plors, i will go ahead and get the new livecd and have a go. worst case i'll find a ps/2 kybrd.

I'm having exactly the same problem.  I get through the initial boot sequence to the 'extended boot options' menu but then neither my USB keyboard (DELL) or ps/2 mouse (Logitech) will do anything.  Eventually, I have to restart the machine.

I tried using the latest version as advised above (0.3-1.iso) but that didn't help either.  Any ideas anyone?

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and trackball installed on a computer with the receiver plugged into the USB port and both work well with the latest GParted LiveCD. I did a LOT of moving and resizing of partitions on that computer just yesterday. Had no problems at all. I do have the USB keyboard enabled in the BIOS. If I do not enable that setting the keyboard will not work until the operating system (XP or Linux) is booted. This might be some odd BIOS related hardware issue. I'd try a ps/2 keyboard.

I've tried it with a ps/2 keyboard and it worked perfectly.  I didn't check out the BIOS though so I can't comment on what ahm said.

Thanks for everyone's help.

alejo wrote:

i take it this issue has not been heard in the past?  Thanks plors, i will go ahead and get the new livecd and have a go. worst case i'll find a ps/2 kybrd.

On one of the motherboards that I came across there was an option of selecting native mode usb kb/mouse support for dos. If your bios has such an option you might be in luck.

I have had problems with some of the current crop of USB connected KB, Mice. I am probably one of the more fortunate ones to have found Samsung wireless mm keyboard + optical mouse. In stead of connecting to eother usb port alone or usb + ps/2 kb port my receiver connects strictly to the 2 ps/2  ports. Works with absolutely every OS that I have experimented with. At $ 25/= it was a bargain compared to all others which cost twice as much.

12 (edited by Coder1024 2007-01-02 08:30:03)

I have a new PC and I had to use PS2 keyboard as USB didn't work even though USB mouse and kbd work fine with BIOS and Windows. So I can verify that it definitely looks like USB support is missing from GParted.

It is enable in the new release : coming soooon smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

It seems to me that you don't have USB Legacy support enabled in the BIOS. Check out this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=327809

Eric