Topic: Resizing two partitions...could someone walk me through?

Hey everyone.

Here's my situation.

I have an 80 GB drive I use just for my OS and some other files. Currently I have the OS partition set to 30GB, and the other one, is 50GB.

I'm in GParted on my other machine right now (newest liveCD), and here's how it looks:

http://www.lookpic.com/files/gparted.png

As you can see, I already started by resizing the bigger partition, and after unsuccessfully trying to resize /dev/sdb1 by extending it over the unallocated space, I decided to also format the unallocated space. So right now, I'm resizing /dev/sdb5, and formatting it to ntfs.

Am I doing this right? If not, how do I extend /dev/sdb1 over the unallocated space? (6.88 GB partition).

Re: Resizing two partitions...could someone walk me through?

Hi,

you have to resize sdb5 "from the left" - that is, move the left end (beginning of the partition) towards the end of the drive. So far it looks that you've done it right.
Afterwards, just resize sdb2 as well "from the left" - move the left end just as far as possibel towards the end of the drive; the result will be an extended partition (sdb2) that is just large enough to contain sdb5.
In the next step, use the very same "Resize/Move" dialog to grow sda1 "to the right" - and you're finished.

Do this step by step, apply your changes after each resize operation!
And: Don't format anything, since this will destroy all data on the partition you want to format!
And, of course: Make sure you have a backup of your data...

Re: Resizing two partitions...could someone walk me through?

Alright it worked. Thanks.

Good thing I wasn't shrinking the OS partition, because I read the warning aobut shrinking Vista AFTER completing everything. I guess I dodged a bullet.