1 (edited by takenitlight 2009-01-19 03:30:40)

Topic: GParted 0.4.1 OR Live 0.4.1-2 w/ Clonezilla?

Please accept my apologies in advance if my questions are too off topic from GParted software. I have been reading off & on for several months. I’m confused on which of the 2 listed GParted software I should download and install. The 2 options are different versions 1 newer than the other: GParted 0.4.1 and Live 0.4.1-2 (upper right corner on http://gparted.sourceforge.net). I also haven’t found a suggested Fat32 partition size for the software and/ or image. I want to image 1-3 machines w/ MS XP Pro & Office Pro 2003. All 3 machines can/ do have the option of using the same product key codes if that makes it easier. I want to be able to reload them w/o having to enter key codes & quickly vs. spending 4-6 hours loading 1 machine. One has a 30GB & 2 have 40 GB hard drives.

I do have home edition copies of Norton Ghost 9.0 & Ghost 2003, but never activated it b/c I got a bad virus. I just now got MS software for my much needed reloads (5-6 yr old). Unfortunately, my Ghost is only good for 1 machine and does not nearly seem as versatile as Clonezilla. I studied the awesome screen shots for the portions provide/ finished on http://www.clonezilla.org.

I’m going to run kill disk & reload XP/ Office 2003 & then make my image. If I understand correctly; I have to use GParted first & then install Clonezilla on a Fat32 partition b4 I can begin to clone/ backup my machine(s). I can partition a portion however large on my desktop PC and/ or just use CD/ DVDs. I also have a WD Passport external 320GB hard drive that I can partition any # of ways, although I want my last large partition to be NTFS.

My data/ files will be backed-up prior to partitioning, etc (This will be image of a new/ fresh XP Pro install).

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Re: GParted 0.4.1 OR Live 0.4.1-2 w/ Clonezilla?

Have you investigated the Clonezilla Live CD?

Re: GParted 0.4.1 OR Live 0.4.1-2 w/ Clonezilla?

Thanks gedakc! "Single machine clone system without installation"...How did I miss that???

Saw your reply right away, but started looking into the Live CD per your advice. Reading up on that & trying to figure out why I was making my project harder then it is. Halfway down the page of Clonzilla, I saw "NEW! You can refer to these step-by-step examples, which provide more details about how to save and restore image." Then from there I hosed myself up thinking I had to partition...yada...yada.

Hopefully I will get it right!

Thanks Again!