1 (edited by johnjsal 2006-08-14 17:44:42)

Topic: most efficient way to repartition?

Hi guys. Here is my current setup:

Windows (NTFS)         20GB
/ (ext3)                     10GB
/home (ext3)               1GB
shared space (FAT32) 25GB
swap                           1GB

I plan to repartition to make Windows smaller, probably around 15, and I'll make the others a little bigger, except swap, which remains the same. Now, I'm thinking that I might just delete all the partitions (except Windows, of course) and start over. Assuming I do this, would it be better to resize the Windows partition first, so it is like resizing a 20GB hard drive, or would it be better to remove all the partitions and get back my 60GB, then resize Windows? Or does it matter?

Thanks!
John

Re: most efficient way to repartition?

with the current version of gparted you could do a lot with shrink and copy (if you want to preserve your data). With the next release you can move the start of partitions as well, so it's probably worth it to wait a while.

But in terms of the efficiency of the partition, would it be better to resize a 20GB partition down to 15, or a 60GB partition to 15?

please define 'efficiency of the partition'.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what it is I mean. I'm just wondering if there *is* any kind of efficiency, anything better, more thorough, less room for mistakes, etc., if you are resizing a smaller partition.

well, not really. In general you should just partition your disk as needed and not worry about 'efficiency'.

ok, thanks. i tend to think of some strange things sometimes when doing something like this smile

hmmzjah, it's a bit weird tongue

(don't forget to backup your important data and always use the latest release wink )

thanks! i bought an extra external HD just for this occasion! smile