Topic: decreased windows partion too much. in a pickle

While installing Ubuntu, I didn't read the setup correctly, and I ended up decreasing my Windows Vista RC1 partition on my computer to a size that disables it from booting. I thought the lower percentage on the slider related to the size of the linux partition, but I was dead wrong.

Anyhow, thanks to my stupid mistake, I spent the last few hours trying to resize my windows partition back to normal size so it would boot up again. I eventually was able to remove the linux partition, but when I resized my windows partition to occupy the unoccupied space, an error occured.

Now GParted indicates that the windows partition occupies the remainder of the space, but the partition content indicator also shows that the partition is full (when it really isn't). This puts me in a bind, because now I cannot shrink my windows partition to make way for any linux partitions.

To make matters worse, I don't have my XP disc with me. I have my Vista disc, but I am unable to access the "recovery console" due to the fact that it goes into a black screen after "loading system files".

On top of that, the computer I'm performing this on does not have access to the internet. I live in a house with a failed wireless router, and I now have to go upstairs in my landlord's living room in order to use the internet. This means there is no way for me to obtain the latest verstion of GParted.

Does anybody have any pointers as to what I can do?

Re: decreased windows partion too much. in a pickle

cvince wrote:

While installing Ubuntu, I didn't read the setup correctly, and I ended up decreasing my Windows Vista RC1 partition on my computer to a size that disables it from booting. I thought the lower percentage on the slider related to the size of the linux partition, but I was dead wrong.

hmmz, i don't really understand what happened here, can you be a bit more specific?

What version of gparted did you use? It's strongly adviced to use the latest version of the livecd, even if you have to get it at a friends home or something like that smile
Furthermore, a screenshot of the current situation would help smile