1 (edited by thekochs 2006-12-03 16:29:46)

Topic: Black Screen Before Windows Now

Well,

I used GParted LiveCD to uncheck the boot boxes to my extra HDDs that just contain backup files.  I had set them mistakingly to Active.  Anyway, this worked well.  The only issue is now when the PC boots between when the Windows Logo (has scroll bar in) and the Desktop comes up I get a black screen for about 15 seconds.  Any idea what is causing this ? I used to get an immediate desktop popup...delay was maybe one or two seconds.

Again, my config is one C: HDD with Windows XP Pro Sp2 O/S on it.....3 other IDE HDDs with MPEG files of this same mobo IDE controller......three other HDDs off a Promise ATA133 PCI IDE card.

Previos Post: http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=266

Regards.

Re: Black Screen Before Windows Now

I guess there is something in the ergistry that is not up2date. So win needs to make it up2date each time.
You could try to clean your registry, BEFORE you *MUST* make a backup of your registry !!!
Then you may try to follow these step :  3 Setting Up XP, from here : http://www.dominok.net/en/it/en.it.clon … ettingupxp

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

3 (edited by thekochs 2006-12-03 19:43:07)

"This can easily be circumvented by executing regedit and resetting/deleting the values in registry-key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices"

So, it means to right click on each entry and delete ?

My concern is that I have Norton GoBack creates a large binary file on the C: HDD and keeps images of the HDD for restoring.  The nice thing about GoBack is that you can access after PC POST prior to Windows startup. You can select a previous good point and it will roll back the HDD to that point.  My concern is that GoBack creates it's own "mounted" drive during install....at least that is what it said.  So, deleting this whole section may/could really disable my PC.

I'd be happy to post my screen print of this section in my registry but there is no way to attach JPEGs to this forum ?

thekochs wrote:

I'd be happy to post my screen print of this section in my registry but there is no way to attach JPEGs to this forum ?

No, that is right. You need to post link to your own web page : provider usually give such ease...

Any way, be very carefull about playing with registry.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

5 (edited by thekochs 2006-12-04 00:25:17)

So, my HKLM>System>MountedDevices has the correct \DosDevices\{driver letter} listed only...none in excess (10 total).  However, it also has about 30 of the \??\Volume{xxxxx-xxx.................} RE_BINARY entries.  I take it from the article below these are the calculated drive signatures ? I can find the 10 DosDevices amoung the 30 signatures.  Are these 30 really causing the long delay in my Windows Desktop appearance after the Windows Boot Screen (one with scrolling bar).  The delay is about 15 seconds or so.

I found this link which is good summary.....but I'm very freaked out about deleting these entries.  If I save the registry....and keep it say on external USB HDD and the system does not re-boot how can I restore the registry ?

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

Thanks.

thekochs wrote:

So, my HKLM>System>MountedDevices has the correct \DosDevices\{driver letter} listed only...none in excess (10 total).  However, it also has about 30 of the \??\Volume{xxxxx-xxx.................} RE_BINARY entries.  I take it from the article below these are the calculated drive signatures ? I can find the 10 DosDevices amoung the 30 signatures.  Are these 30 really causing the long delay in my Windows Desktop appearance after the Windows Boot Screen (one with scrolling bar).  The delay is about 15 seconds or so.

I found this link which is good summary.....but I'm very freaked out about deleting these entries.  If I save the registry....and keep it say on external USB HDD and the system does not re-boot how can I restore the registry ?

Thanks.

Well, i apologize, but this is typicaly a windows problem, and i am not able to solve it, since i am not expert !
The best way you could take is googling any win forum, ort even contact microsoft.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:
thekochs wrote:

Thanks.

Well, i apologize, but this is typicaly a windows problem, and i am not able to solve it, since i am not expert ! The best way you could take is googling any win forum, ort even contact microsoft.

Don't apologize...you have been a great help.  I tried this on a test PC and good news....works fine.  I just highlighted all the entries in the registry under this section....right click delete.  I then rebooted and Windows rebuild a clean version.  After another boot it comes up MUCH quicker.  Thanks !