Topic: Adding Testdisk from CGSecurity to the live cd

How about adding Testdisk to the live CD so you can use it to recover partitions and files?

Since Testdisk already supports most of the filesystems that the live Cd does, it would be a perfect fit for it.

TestDisk can find lost partitions for all of these file systems:
     * BeFS ( BeOS )
     * BSD disklabel ( FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD )
     * CramFS, Compressed File System
     * DOS/Windows FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
     * HFS and HFS+, Hierarchical File System
     * JFS, IBM's Journaled File System
     * Linux Ext2 and Ext3
     * Linux Raid
          + RAID 1: mirroring
          + RAID 4: striped array with parity device
          + RAID 5: striped array with distributed parity information
          + RAID  6:  striped  array  with  distributed  dual  redundancy
            information
     * Linux Swap (versions 1 and 2)
     * LVM and LVM2, Linux Logical Volume Manager
     * Mac partition map
     * Novell Storage Services NSS
     * NTFS ( Windows NT/2K/XP/2003 )
     * ReiserFS 3.5, 3.6 and 4
     * Sun Solaris i386 disklabel
     * Unix File System UFS and UFS2 (Sun/BSD/...)
     * XFS, SGI's Journaled File System

TestDisk home: http://www.cgsecurity.org

Re: Adding Testdisk from CGSecurity to the live cd

No chance. Download the binary and run it off a usb stick.

Patrick Verner wrote:

No chance. Download the binary and run it off a usb stick.

Why not? Considering how easily software like Gparted can screw up a harddrive, one would tend to think you want to include a way to recover from such a screw up on the live CD itself instead of forcing people to run around looking for it. And Testdisk is quite frankly one of the best,well documented and easiest to use data recovery programs around, not to mention being licensed under the GNU Public License (GPL). 

Testdisk and Parted go hand-in-hand. It's quite frankly *STUPID* to seperate the two.

chris lee wrote:

Testdisk and Parted go hand-in-hand. It's quite frankly *STUPID* to seperate the two.

There is something wrong in your sentence : you suppose both are ALREADY joined. But they are NOT smile

BTW it is our choice to have only GParted working on the livecd. Adding tools equal to adding bugs.
This one wants this tool, which is usefull ; that one wants this other tool which must be added ... It goes like this everyday.

There is a project called sysrecuecd : http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page. You can find many tools one it. Ask them to add what you want ...

Hope you will understand wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

LarryT wrote:
chris lee wrote:

There is something wrong in your sentence : you suppose both are ALREADY joined. But they are NOT smile

BTW it is our choice to have only GParted working on the livecd. Adding tools equal to adding bugs.
This one wants this tool, which is usefull ; that one wants this other tool which must be added ... It goes like this everyday.

There is a project called sysrecuecd : http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page. You can find many tools one it. Ask them to add what you want ...

Hope you will understand wink

>
>

You people are missing the point here. Parted *IS NOT A TOY* like some of the other stuff you guys are  dumping into the live CD and you guys are treating it as if it is.

THE POINT HERE IS THIS:

PARTED  is a *VERY,VERY DANGEROUS PIECE OF SOFTWARE THAT
CAN DAMAGE/DESTROY A HARD DRIVE* 

TESTDISK is  a *TOOL THAT CAN UNDO MOST BUT NOT ALL OF THE DAMAGE THAT PARTED CAN CAUSE TO A HARD DRIVE*

It's very easy to damage the partition table/MBR of a hard drives using software
like Gparted, resulting in computers *THAT WILL NOT BOOT AT ALL*  after
using it.

Testdisk will in most cases be able to fix the damage done to the hard drive
making it possible for these computers to boot again.

Quite frankly it is very irresponsible of you guys to not include Testdisk on the live CD considering some of the *RATHER USELESS GUI JUNK*  you *ARE*
sticking on it.

chris lee,
Dont shout please smile
As you can read it there : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/faq.php, point 2) :
"Of course you have to realize i cannot give any quarantees, so you should probably make a backup of important data before toying with your partitions. "

Anyway as you maybe know too, i am not the maintainer of this soft, and asap he will give you a better answer that i should.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Maybe, if this program is based on a library or can be used from the commandline, support for it might go into GParted itself?  ;-)

sorry, i was away for a while.
@chris: although testdisk might be a nice addition to the livecd (i have to talk with patrick and larry about this) i really don't like your tone. You sound as frustrated as my mother in law when i forgot it was my weddingday.
(G)Parted is as dangerous as the person who uses it and someone who is stupid enough to destroy a partitiontable is most likely not able to recover it. So please refrain from using all this uppercase blabber about 'dangerous' etc.. thank you.

There has been talk about adding recovery functionality to gparted and i still like to add it, but at the moment i simply don't have the time to implement it. Chris, if you feel this is so important, you might consider implementing it in gparted.
Please talk with us about the (gui)design, before implementation to avoid later dissapointments.

Remember this guy plors?

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329651

"And quite frankly the version of xvesa you're using just doesn't cut it. It's basically crap"

He is a troll...

:^)