Topic: HELP!!! Cannot Boot From Hard Disk After Power Outage!!!

Hellow Folks. I'm Messenging you from my Ubuntu Live CD, and i have a MAJOR problem.

So i burned a copy of the GParted Live CD to check out the interface. So when i enter the BIOS, and i'm at the map selection...BAM! Power goes out..

Now when i re-boot and try to load up from my HD....I get this wierd message

-.::::::::.-

Also note that i'm duel booting XP and Ubuntu, and using the GRUB Boot loader.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Re: HELP!!! Cannot Boot From Hard Disk After Power Outage!!!

Hi,
I dont understand what you re saying : no need to enter to bios parmas to boot gparted !
:-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

3 (edited by UltraMan 2006-11-24 17:48:54)

No no... When i first booted the CD up, it was asking me for my Screen Resolution and Keymap. Right at the keymap screen, power went out.

Please Help Me!

You See, when ever i try to boot anything from my hard drive i get that wierd message
-.:::::.-
that little thingy is the message.

just boot again with the gparted livecd and see if the disk is still intact...

Poweroutages are also known as Harddisk-killers.

Yes is is still intact. My Problem is i can't boot into windows or my Ubuntu OR Grub. When it trys to boot ANYTHING from the hard disk, i just get that wierd message.

I Don't wanna have to go through my 4th format this year T_T

i think you need to write a new MBR, using lilo this can be done by running 'lilo'. Unfortunately  i don't know grub, so i can't help you there. It should be easy though.

Well if your hard drive is still intact, there is no problem.
There are in fact many tips :
Fisrt, you can use a floppy drive using grub, but you need to copy the grub.conf (or menu.lst) from your ubuntu and put it on the floppy. If you think you can do that , i will send you the way to build such a floppy.
Secondly, you may try to restore grub from within gparted livecd : grub-install  /dev/yourdrive , where yourdrive may be hda or sda, depends on the drive you use.
Third you can restore only the wirndows mbr using the win  cdrom and running fixboot, from console.

There still are some other possibilities ...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Um, Bad problem. When i try to acces eather my Windows Drive OR my Ubuntu drive i get this error.

device /dev/hda1 is not removeable
could not execute pmount

But what the need to use any pmount ????
just mount the drive you want using mount smile
If you wanna mount ext3 use # mount /dev/hda1 /tmp/there
If you wanna mount ntfs , use # ntfs3-g /dev/hda1 /tmp/ntfs

Larry
GParted-project Admin

No you see,from my Ubuntu Live CD i wanted to see if i could grab any files from my Windows Partition..But i get that error! Same for my linux one!

just boot the gparted livecd and recreate your MBR or use one of the other techniques LarryT suggested earlier on. That way you have your old system back the way it was before the power outage.

I tryed both the Grub install (said something like permission denied) and the mount one didn't seem to do anything.

ok, please tell us exactly what you did, how you did it and what error you got. We'll look at it first thing in the morning wink

What I Typed In? Well....

First, i booted up my GParted Live CD, asked me how to boot it, so i chose no extra boot seetings. And it started loading up. Next, i picked my country, screen depth, resolution, i picked the very first key map. Next, when it was all finsihed, i let it run GParted..so it recongized my partations (thats good news)

Next, i went to the terminal and typed in grub-install /dev/hda1 and it said "Could Not Install /boot, Read Only Filesystem" So i checked in Gparted and it said i had all rights to that drive o.0) So i tryed to mount it....so i entered in the command # ntfs3-g /dev/hda1 /tmp/ntfs...and nothing happned.

Heres what happned when the power went out.

1st, i booted the CD, selected no extra boot settings and it loaded up. Next it took me to country, and so fourth. When i got to keymaps. i didn't know what to do so i kept hitting cancle...it then took me to its console. Then thats when the power went out. Hope That helps.
When i get ahold on it, i'll run the fixboot from my XP CD

really weird : never seen this before :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin

strange... please try to run 'badblocks' (it's on the gparted livecd) on that disk. Maybe the outage damaged some clusters. (see 'badblocks --help' for more information)

17 (edited by UltraMan 2006-11-25 17:37:06)

Alright, it's not a bootloader problem because i ran the "Fixboot" command in the XP Home Edition CD i have and that didn't work... I'm not sure what command to run with the badblocks...its gives me a list of these varibals..*sigh* gotta hate power outtages...

Also, I really want to know if it is a main HD problem. Do you guys know of any program where i can boot into a OS from a CD?

badblocks -nsvv /dev/hda should perform a non-destructive scan for bad blocks.