Topic: gparted Live CD...does not see that there is a hard drive

ok,
I dont know what I did...
or if the hard drive was dead first.

I used Gparted Live CD to get the hard drive ready for Fedora Core 6.  Gparted the first time took a long time to recognize the partitions on the drive, and when it did, I just deleted the partitions.  Then went to install Fedora.  Fedora errors out on me at the formattign drive stage, so I decided that maybe I needed to make an ext3 partition first in Gparted...adn start from there.  Now when I load Gparted it says that it can not find a hard drive at all.

how badly did I mess up and how can I fix it. 

And everything that I needed on the drive has been coppied...I am not worried about the info on the drive...I just want to be able to install Fedora.

Thanks.

Re: gparted Live CD...does not see that there is a hard drive

does the harddisk make weird noises? What kind of errors did FC produce? and what is the output of 'fdisk -lu' (on the livecd) ?

thnx

ok, tried again, and this time Gparted recognized the disk.
I then formated the drive to ext3 and gparted sai it worked ok.

still getting errors from FC

no noise comming from the hard disk at all.
FC gets to:

formatting / file system...

and then I get this error:

Error occured trying to format VolGroup00/LogVol00

This problem is serious and install cannot continue.

Fdisk -lu:
Disk /dev/hda: 60 gb 60022480896 bytes.  255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7297 cylinders total 117235408 sectors
units = setors 1 x 512 = 512 bytes

/dev/hda1 boot   start: 63 end: 208844 blocks: 104391 ld: 83 system: linux
/dev/hda2 start: 208845 end: 417389 blocks: 104422+ ld:83 system: Linux
/dev/hda3 start: 417690 end: 117226304 blocks: 58404387+ ld:8e system Linux LVM

i had to retype that by hand...so that is the best format I could think of....

Thanks for the help

It's a bit weird that the disk seems to 'disappear'...

about the FC error.. you need to take that to a FC related forum, because it's not something related to gparted and my experience with logical volumes is quite limited smile

Hi mcompton,
It may happen that during installation FC6 returns this kind of error. Then restart the installation. But if the error happens twice, like Plors says, you'd better contact fedoraforum.org or something.

BTW : i wonder if your drive works well :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I will take the question to the FC forum.  Wondering before I leave...is there a tool either on the live CD or that is easily available say on a live CD of Ubuntu or Knoppix that checks the disk.  I am thinking back to the old windows scandisk wich would flag errors or tell you if there were bad sectors etc.

the livecd contains 'badblocks' which checks the disk for bad clusters, but in this case i'm not sure if it would be helpfull. The fact it's not always detected makes it a bit scary. Maybe it doesn't spin up for some reason (happens sometimes to old disks). Or maybe something is wrong with the (power)cable or the controller.