Topic: Can't resize ntfs

I can't resize my ntfs partition. It gives an error. This is what I posted in Ubuntu forums:

I had Ubuntu and windows installed and living happily together. I decided to remove Ubuntu, so I removed it's partition with gparted and reassigned the space to my xp partition. Obviously (now) xp didn't started because grub had been removed, so i tried to reinstall Unbutu. I popped in the gparted live cd but now it won't let me reduce the size of my xp partition to install Unbutu, because it gives an error. The same happens with the Ubuntu cd. I tried to use my xp installation disk but it doesn't detec any hard disks.

The only solution I see now is to reformat my hard drive and lose a lot of important data, not only mine but of various family members.

Please help, I'm about to have a break down.

Re: Can't resize ntfs

the best solution is endly to restore mbr smile
Just follow those steps, booting xp cdrom : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/31405 , and special attention to those lines in the above page :

FIXBOOT
fixboot drive name:
Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command overrides the default setting, which writes to the system boot partition. The fixboot command is supported only on x86-based computers.
FIXMBR
fixmbr device name
Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that requires a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

Warning This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or if a hardware problem exists. If you use this command, you may create inaccessible partitions. We recommend that you run antivirus software before you use this command.

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for example:
fixmbr \device\harddisk2
If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before rewriting the MBR. The fixmbr command is supported only on x86-based computers.

okay ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)