Topic: rename partitions?

I am installing Ubuntu as i created partitions it came up as New Partition #1 and not /dev/hda 2 as it did in the tutorial i was following. Does it automatically change later or can you change it after you install ubuntu?
thanks

Re: rename partitions?

it changes letter after you "apply" changes smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

it is quite hard to predict on beforehand which number will be asigned to a partition. Because of this we simply show 'new partition #1' etc.. .
After you have applied the operation(s), gparted will reread the partitiontable and show the new paths+numbers.

plors wrote:

it is quite hard to predict on beforehand which number will be asigned to a partition. Because of this we simply show 'new partition #1' etc.. .
After you have applied the operation(s), gparted will reread the partitiontable and show the new paths+numbers.

...  and if afterwards the naming of partitions are not in the sequential sector order they occupy on the volume (hard disk, stick or whatever) then you can use fdisk's "f" command (in the "advanced" operations section) to re-name them in logical order. Apologies if this has been pointed out previously.

yep, but that last step is not necessary. But it seems to make people happy to have their partitions in numbered order wink

Actually, there is some discussion going on about adding this functionality to libparted. It would make a nice addition.

"Not necessary?"  Hmmmm!  If you have, like me, many distros installed in about 10 partitions on one hard disk - then if I decide to copy a partition (say hda6) to an adjacent space (in order to "move" it back) then the copied partition gets named hda11. If I then delete hda6 I will have partitions named
          hda1, hda2, hda3, hda4, hda5, hda11, hda7, hda8, hda9, hda10
if listed in sector order.  OK - I agree it's "not necessary" but surely it would be more elegant to "fix partition order" with the (Linux) fdisk's "f" command - which, in the above example, would have the effect of re-naming hda11 to hda6.

I agree it would be nice to have this option in libparted - as well as something to allow the labelling of partitions (without losing content) as used to be possible in Partition Magic (though often in the latter it refused to work properly).

you're right wabe, but to correct this problem you 'd better use label for all your partitions!
When i had 6 linux os plus one or 2 win on one of my pc, i used to label the partition (well in fact with red hat based, it is always the case)...
And grub like it btw smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)