Topic: Do I need gparted?

Sorry, this is not meant to be disrespectful smile

I looked through the homepage and tried to understand the documentation but a lot is very technical and assumes a bit more experience than I have.

I would like to format on XP a new SATA harddrive and partition it into 3 partitions. Other than that, I have no special requirements. Someone told me I can just use the native device manager - are there any advantages in downloading gparted and running this program?

Re: Do I need gparted?

Partitioning a hard drive and even more modifying the partition table isn't so simple, that's why it is not possible to avoid technical terminology. GParted is a software tool often used by professionals and system administrators to perform simple or complicate tasks.

To partition your new hard drive, you have no need to use GParted. You can do the same using the disk management of your operating system. What disk management can't do is to *modify* partition size. This is not your case, actually.

Anyway, I would advice you to learn more about hard disk partitions, to better understand how a system works.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Re: Do I need gparted?

Sata disk need a driver.
Some bios has built in sata driver.
When installing XP you maybe need to install the driver at the beginning (F6)

If Xp is allreddy running you can change the patitions whith Gparted.
Gparted shud be used as live CD.

.....................It is possible to destroy all the pattions on the harddisk

Eyvind -Denmark.
Real men don't backup.....