1 (edited by ascherjim 2006-10-17 08:01:00)

Topic: Erroneous "mounted file systrem" indication

When trying to reformat my 2gb MMC Mobile card with GParted loaded on ubuntu, I get an error message which states as follows:  "mkdosfs: /dev/sdb1 contains a mounted file system"  What does this mean and is there anything I can do about it?  I, of course, have to click the "unmount" button in order to designate my repartitioning, which all seems to proceed OK until the error message brings everything to a halt.

Re: Erroneous "mounted file systrem" indication

i guess you ARE in the directory you want to umount :-/ ?
What is the exact message it returns ? Exactly what you wrote, or something else more?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I am working strictly from within the GParted application on my Ubuntu PC, using a flash card reader incorporated into my box.  The message I quoted was the entire message.  Following the message, the GParted screen indicates either an "unknown file system" or I am permitted to delete that and return to an "unformatted" card, which will not accept any partitioning of other files systems without again giving me the same error message.

Could you try to boot off the last livecd version and give it a try please ?
Because the version you can find on ubuntu might be out of date .... maybe

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I suspect you're right.  The ubuntu version does seem older, i.e., 1.0.  I tried to download the latest version and install it on my ubuntu PC, but so far have been unsuccessful.  I will try to burn the iso live version and boot that from my CD-ROM drive.  However, I have returned my 2GB card to the manufacturer for a replacement, believing that card is now so corrupted as to be irretrievable.  So I will have to wait a few days for a replacement card.  Many thanks for your help.  Jim

I finally received my replacement 2GB Kingston mobile MMC and burned a live Gparted CD.  The live CD comes up on my PC perfectly, and in fact I have successfully employed it to make some minor adjustments to my PC partitioning.  However, the live CD doesn't "read" my MMC when in the card reader built into my box.  My earlier ubuntu version 1.0 of Gparted read the card reader without a problem.  So I've had to go back to the unbuntu version to format my new MMC after all.  It does seem to have done so successfully though.