Topic: Additional Storage Adapters?

I'm new to creating LiveCDs, and while not technically a GParted request, I'd  like to see support for some FC storage adapters included on the LiveCD (QLogic and Emulex) in order to facilitate manipulation of SAN-attached drives.

Part of the problem becomes multipathing support, but I think the device mapper, dm, has been included in the Linux kernel since at least 2.6 -- I know LVM2 requires it. 

Once I get more education under my belt, maybe I can work on it myself smile

Re: Additional Storage Adapters?

Prior to release 0.3.8 of GParted, the Parted project library libparted was used for device detection.  This meant that if you used a newer libparted library that recognized device mapper devices, then GParted should have seen these devices.

With the release of GParted 0.3.8, this detection is performed with GParted.  Recently (today) a patch was added to the GNOME SVN repository to recognize device mapper devices.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/svn.php

Perhaps you could checkout and test this version and provide feedback?

3 (edited by DougBaer 2008-11-07 23:40:13)

Re: Additional Storage Adapters?

Thanks for the information -- I have a test LUN presented from an HP EVA and it can be seen via 4 paths.  When the box is booted to Windows, I need to use MPIO to collapse the paths so that Windows sees one logical volume.  Under SLES 10, I would configure the device mapper.  When I boot with the gparted CD (gparted-live-0.3.9-9.iso), I still see all of the paths to this LUN as separate devices -- /dev/sdb, c, d and e -- like there is no dm involved.   In both the OS and in gparted. 

This may just be cosmetic as I have yet to test access to the device(s)