Topic: Multiboot GParted with BCDW

I downloaded the current version & burned it to a cd. It booted just fine. I could access all the partitions & manipulate/create new ones.

I am trying to integrate the live cd to my BCDW 1.50z as well as 2.01a multiboot CD where I want to create a partition & install a linux system. I extracted the boot sector & extracted all the rest of the files to the root of this multiboot CD & even labelled it as "LiveCD". For what ever I get an error message to the effect that it is not gparted livecd, kernel panic, trying to kill init.

Has anyone successfully used the livecd in multiboot environment? Is there any way of getting around this werror message?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Multiboot GParted with BCDW

1) Sorry for my bad english

2) I integrated the live cd to my BCDW1.50z with these steps:

- extract the folder ISOLINUX from the gparted-livecd-0.3.1-1.iso to your BCDW folder
    - extract the file GPARTED from the gparted-livecd-0.3.1-1.iso to your BCDW folder

now you have on your harddisk:

\BCWD\GPARTED
      \BCWD\ISOLINUX\BOOT.CAT
                                 BOOT.MSG
                                 INITRD.GZ
                                 ISOLINUX.BIN
                                 ISOLINUX.CFG
                                 LINUX
                                 SPLASH.LSS

- Rename the file LINUX to KERNEL
    - Rename or delete the file ISOLINUX.CFG

- Now copy the following instruction to your bcwd.ini file (in one line-> thats important):

/ISOLINUX/ISOLINUX.BIN ; GNOME Parted V0.3 ; gparted; /ISOLINUX/KERNEL APPEND noapic
      initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=65000
     ~
     gparted            = ~
     GNOME Partition Editor 0.3
     ~

Michael

I tried your script but I still got the error message of media not being LiveCD.

It appears that your script is from BCDW 1.50z or an earlier version. I am Using BCDW 2.01a which permits me to boot from an iso whch contains all the boot information & does not require any further support fron any files it may require to access from the CD, like the Acronis Disk Director CD.

It comes up to the screen shere I have a variety of choices for additional parameters and pthers. I selected - no additional parameters. Did I do it right?

Thanks for your help.

4 (edited by pmshah 2006-10-24 20:49:22)

I did not want to edit the earlier post so that both are distinct.

The post by hal1009 did not work for me under BCDW 2.01a so I made some changes to the bcdw.ini file as under.....

/ISOLINUX/ISOLINUX.BIN ; GNOME Parted V0.3 ; gparted; /ISOLINUX/KERNEL APPEND noapic
      initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=65000

of course all in one line. The deleted text is interpreted differently in BCDW 2.0a

The second part & critical one at that is to select the ram option at the screen for additional options. This is to boot from RAM & release the CD.

It booted perfectly from ram & read the HDD properly & offered the recognised partitions for manipulating or what ever I wanted to do.

I am no linux guru & have no clue how to include this selection of "ram" option on the command line.

Any help would be appreciated.

Further to my last post I tried adding the /ram to the command line & it worked like a charm. So the correct line for use with BCDW 2.01a becomes .......

initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=65000 /ram

saves you trouble of making any selection if the default language is English & the default keyboard is US-Qwerty.

Now the wish list is for some one to reverse engineer Paragon Partition Manager boot disk and come up with a freeware boot disk. A single 1.44 mb floppy boot image  ( with close to 300k to spare) which can handle fat, fat32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, reiserFS & Linux swap !!!!!