Topic: Gparted does not recognize my partitions

I need some help. I'm using the latest live CD of Gparted and everything boots up and all. When I arrive at the interface it says I have 183 GB unallocated space but in reality I should have some partitions in there. It recognizes my hard drive but not my partitions. Can someone recommend on what I could do? I'm on my Toshiba laptop and it's a 200gb hard drive. In Vista's disk manager my partitions are like this

|---------------------------|----------------------|----------------------------|---------------------|
|1.64 GB - Toshiba part.| 169.22 GB - Vista | 10.74 GB - Unallocated | 4.89 GB - Win XP |
|---------------------------|----------------------|----------------------------|---------------------|

My goal was to expand the XP partition and add those 10.74 GB to it.

Re: Gparted does not recognize my partitions

Hoow these partitions were created?
You can use vista tools to expand the partition.
If you can't, please give details on your system and a screenshot from Gparted.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

3 (edited by jessi3k3 2007-10-08 01:10:50)

Vista wont want to expand the XP partition because it's in front of the unallocated space. Vista's partiton manager is very limited as in it will only extend partitions with unallocated space in front. What I wanted to do is move the XP partition back and expand it to the unallocated space. Unfortunately vista's tool wont let you move partitions as far as I know. Rightnow I have a Toshiba P105-S9337. It has a 200gb Fujitsu MHV2200BT PL Hard drive. How exactly do I take screenshots once inside the gparted live cd screen? Isnt it just running in memory? How will I store the screen shot?

And to how these partitions were created, First there was only the toshiba partition and the rest was Vista. Then I shrunk Vista's parition and installed Windows XP. Later I found out XP was running out of space and shrunk Vista some more. This is what I have as of result. All was done withing Vista's Partition manager.

About screenshots, there is a link in the documentation. You have to store them on floppy disk (or other disk or memory unit you mount).

Can you at least give a screenshot from windows disk management?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Ok, here's the image
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/81/partitionshx0.th.png

I don't see anything weird in the partitions.
I can't understand why Gparted sees the entire disk as unallocated space. You could try to run "TestDisk" from a terminal (from the Gparted livecd) to check for any potential problem.

You could run the command
fdisk -l
from the terminal too, to see what Linux detects on your partitions.