Topic: LiveCD refuses to boot

I am trying to boot my old Dell Inspiron 2650 from the Gparted LiveCD.  Regardless of what option I choose at the beginning, it always freezes at "Detecting Adaptec I20 RAID controllers..."

Is there any way to solve this?

tahnks, jpgv

Re: LiveCD refuses to boot

Try Parted Magic and see if it works any better...

Patrick Verner
www.partedmagic.com

Thanks Patrick.

Parted Magic does boot just fine.  But I am stuck with the same problem I had with the ntfsresize that came with Ubuntu live cd in the first place:

"Failed to empty $FILE_LogFile/$DATA: Input/Output error
ERROR(5): Failed to reset $LogFile: Input/Output error"

Gparted reports the disk has some bad sectors, but I've ran chkdsk several times and it doesn't fix anything, so I'm running the -b option here.

Is there a way to fix this?

jpgv

Ubuntu contains a very old and buggy version.
Do you really have this RAID controller in the computer?
You could try some slightly older version, like 0.3.4-5 or 0.3.4-2, or even the latest 0.3.3 version.

{Topic moved to the Live Media section}

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear. smile Go to the manufacturers site and see if they have diagnostic program to check the hard drive. Bad sectors is a sure sign the disk is about to die. Software cannot do this to a hard drive, it is simply a mechanical failure. If anything make sure you back-up your data in case it just goes. You can pick-up a good hard drive fairly cheap and sometimes it's less effort just to bite the bullet and start over with a new one than to fight with a dying drive. Some new hard disks come with a neat program to clone the entire old drive to the new one.

I use a Dell Inspiron at work and the hard drive crapped out on me. Just make sure Dell's program agrees it's bad before you rush to judgment.