Topic: Creating a new /home partition

I have a basic question.  I need to creat a new partition (/home).  I can make space for it by shrinking my /usr partition.  I managed to do that, and to add a new ext3 partition, but:
1) How do I tell Gparted that this is /home?
2) what is 'disklabel'? (I was scared from the warning)
3) what else shold I do. 

I searched the Gparted documentation and couldn't find clear answers to my questions.

I am using RHE4 dual boot with WinXP.  I have 25GB on my /usr 5GB on / (root) and have no /home partition at all (so I want to move space fro /usr for a new /home partition)

I am a relatively new user in Linux (and don't know a lot about computers in general).  please take that into account if yo uare trying to help me (and please, help me).

Thanks a lot,
BK

Re: Creating a new /home partition

Don't ever mess with 'disklabel' unless you know what you are doing. What you need is a "volume label".

Lets say the partition that you would like to label is "/dev/hda3"

Open a terminal and type:

e2label /dev/hda3 home

Restart GParted and it will now say "home".

Google to learn how to set-up your fstab in Linux if you don't know how to. You will need to do this.

Patrick Verner
www.partedmagic.com

Re: Creating a new /home partition

Don't touch "disklabel" at all, unless you want to loose your disk!
This is only for using a disk in other hardware architectures, like Sun etc.

I think you have nothing else to do with Gparted if the partition is already there.
Now you have to configure your system to mount the new partition as /home. You can find related info in the "man" pages, and in some Linux support forums, like "LinuxQuestions.org". It is a big forum with a special newbie wink section and many really experienced power users. I'm sure you can find the solution even by searching into the forum pages.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***