Topic: GParted failing to read my Partitions

My hard Drive is divided into 4 Partitions  plus a Swap file.
After having a sort out and re-installing Win XP Gparted does not read my partitions but classes it as all one drive.
Ihave as follows
Partition 1 Windows XP NTFS
Partition 2 Windows files NTFS
Partition 3 Empty  Fat32
Partition 4 Empty  Fat32

Partitions 3 & 4 I originally had as Ext3 but changed them when Gparted could not see them .If I make  3 & 4 NTFS would it read them then .(have not tried this as windows cannot change them I believe.

Is there a way to make all the Partitions readable by Gparted ?
cheers Fatherflap  ( living up to my monica )

Re: GParted failing to read my Partitions

This is a support question rather than development.

Please, give me more information about your drive(s), as well as the information reported by Gparted and fdisk. All the partitions are normally readablee by Gparted.

Do you use the LiveCD or an installed version? give me please the version number.

/{Topic moved to the support forum}/

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

class 413 my apologies for originally posting in the wrong section.
I have used a stand alone version of Gparted downloaded from sourceforge.net ( version 0.3.3 )about a week ago.
and also Ubuntu `s Live CD on an officially burnt version downloaded 18/5/07
bothof these see the drive as one partition  not even seeing Windows XP installed on the first one .
I had no problems the first time I installed Ubuntu My 4 partitions which were originally made using Acronis Partition Expert which I have had and used for several years .On the first install I had 2 NTFS partitions and 2 Ext 3 Partitions plus the swap . I formatted the drive completely as I had a problem with Win XP and also wished change Ubuntu from 6.06 to 7.04. I changed the Drives from Ext 3 to Fat32 when I could not get Gparted to read them .

Short of Wiping the whole drive and starting from scratch I see no other way of doing it . But there is no guarantee then I suppose .

cheers fatherflap

I think you didn't use the *Gparted* LiveCD.

There is an old Gparted version in Ubuntu, but it is toooo old and doesn't work correctly. So, please, in that case use the latest Gparted LiveCD and tell me what it can see all the partitions or no.

Another issue: you could consider to make an extended partition in this hard disk if you plan to install any Linux on it, because you might need more than 4 partitions in total.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***