Topic: Hidden partitions

I don't seem to be able to toggle the hidden flag on any partitions like I can with the boot flag, etc.  It just ignores it and the box is not checked. Is this normal?  Does Gparted show hidden partitions by device name or does it just show empty (unallocated) space with hidden listed after it?  (Or none of the above?) Since I have never seen one how would I be able to tell if it was there?  Something like a black hole I guess.  Perhaps in Linux fdisk -l would show a gap in contiguous cylinders?  Sorry so many questions - just trying to learn.

I'm using the live CD - not sure of the release number but I downloaded and burned it on 6-15-07 and it was the latest one at that time.

Re: Hidden partitions

Gparted shows all partitions, as well as unallocated space. It doesn't confuse them.

I think your version is 0.3.4-7 (if it was the latest at the time):

19 May 2007 : GParted livecd 0.3.4-7 has been released !
27 June 2007 : GParted livecd 0.3.4-8 has been released !

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thank you for answering.  Why doesn't Gparted allow me to check the hidden flag?  Shouldn't I be able to hide a partition if I want to?

There is an interesting link about hidden partitions:
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthre … ght=hidden

"...
The tools to edit the partition ID is available in

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***