Topic: Disk Lable

Well, I did the don't do of all times. I chnaged my disk label on accident.
How can I discover what the old disk lable name is and change it back so I can recover my box?

Re: Disk Lable

Do you mean you put a disklabel for some other system architecture (i.e. spark etc instead of intel) using the "device" menu?

Disks in the intel platform for Linux, windows or msdos and other dos-like systems need in general the msdos label. You could try to put it again by the device menu from Gparted, but I don't know at all if you will get your previous state. The changes that this command make to the MBR are imediatele applicable. I don't know if it just updates a few bytes or it overwrites the entire sector (I'm afraid for that, because the disk structure is related to the system architecture).

Please, use the "TestDisk" tool that is very good for partition testing and recovery, before doing anything other.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

If you can't fix the disklabel with TestDisk, you could try to inverse the change you made with Gparted, and then try again with TestDisk. This is risky, but it would be a last attempt for recovery.

And, in the future, try to always take backup of your MBR before doing things with partitions.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Well I just accidently changed the disk label as MSDOS but I thought I was just changin it on a new partition I created not thinkinh I was chanigin the label for the entire disk.

I recovered the boot sector with testDisk, but it can't see the rest of the file system.
I recieve a Kerbnel Panic. Basically whne I try to use grun comoand line to list the partions with (hd I recieve "file system unknown, using whole disk" .

I am not sure what to do at this point. It does not seem like testDisk is restroing the file system type coretcly. I have also tried to set "cat /etc/fstab" from the grub command line menu but it can't find the files.

So I guess my real challenge at this pint is to restore the file system to a type or state where Grub can see it.

Any Ideas?  I have a backup of all of my etc on another box and a backup of menu.lst on the affected drive and I can see it, but I ac't get to it.

If you can see your partitions by any live cd like Knoppix or any other live distro, you can adjust grub after.

Another recovery tool I remember is "gpart".
It can find possible partition entries on a disk and gives information to even recreate partitions manually. I never used it till now but it has a reputation.

Another good idea would be to ask about this problem on a big Linux forum, like "LinuxQuestions.org". It is a very big forum with many experienced members. Even searching in the posts could give ideas.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***