1 (edited by fidodo 2007-08-04 21:14:19)

Topic: Lost disklabel? [Solved]

I had an old linux partition with an old version of xubuntu installed on it and wanted to upgrade it to ubuntu 7.04. I also had 2 other partitions. A windows partition, and a windows recovery partition.

I deleted the old linux partition and used an install disk to install onto the unallocated space. However, the allocation of the partition didn't work. I figured it wouldn't be a problem since I didn't touch the old windows partition or the recovery partition. But once I tried looking at the harddrive with GParted it displayed the entire harddrive as unallocated! Apparently GParted can't read the disklabel because if I click on new it asks me to make a new disklabel.

Now the oddest thing of all is that I can still access the old windows and recovery partitions! My Ubuntu live CD mounts them perfectly fine. I was able to backup the important data and none of it was corrupted or anything.

None the less, I still have a bunch of problems. I can't run windows because the GRUB bootloader that was on the xubuntu partition doesn't work anymore. I cant replace the GRUB bootloader with a new linux install because I can't add a new linux partition without overwriting my windows partition.

The data is all obviously there but I can't install linux without being able to recognize the old partitions. Can anyone help me fix the old disklabel so I can run my computer again?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Lost disklabel? [Solved]

I figured it out. I used testdisk and everything worked fine.