Topic: [SOLVED]Not able to make extended

Hi all,

I have dellE1505 which comes with all primary partitions.

I deleted one primary partition and shrink the existing OS using vista utility. So I have two unallocated regions of memory.
Remaining 3 partitions are primary namely
Dell utility part
os partition(vista)
dell media direct

Now I boot using gparted and I can see the unallocated space.

I try to make a new partition out of it but when choosing the partition type option I can only select primary.
Extended and logical are not selectable.

TIA
tan.

Re: [SOLVED]Not able to make extended

You can make a logical partition within an extended partition only.
You can make up to 4 primary partitions in total, or up to 3 primary + 1 extended partitions.

If you have your disk space divided in 5 parts, you have a small problem, as you can't make a new partition with 2 non-contiguous parts. You need to have your free space in one contiguous segment. So, you would have to consider moving one of the existing partitions.
Please, write the information about all existing partitions and free disk segments.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi,
First of all thnx to gparted n team ..
Finally I have successfully installed fc6 after partitioning the drive.

I will like to share some of my experience.

In dell inspirion E1505 dell media direct (DMD)was preinstalled. What it has done was, made an ext partion of 2 gb at the end of the drive and installed DMD.(This I saw using DMD)

Because there and existing extended partition at the end of drive I was not able make extended partition any where else (This is how interpreted the happening plz comment if my interpretation is wrong )

So i deleted DMD,
installed vista on the complete chunk
resized vista using its own utility.
rebooted using gparted and made ext and logical partitions .
rebooted using fc6 CD and completed the installation
Things are working as of now. However I have not checked Wi-fi on fc6. I hope it will be fine.

Regards
tanweer

You can have only 1 extended partition on the drive. You could perhaps expand it and make other logical drives in it, leaving even the small Dell partition.
Anyway, your steps were right, I think.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***