1 (edited by Zam478 2009-01-21 23:43:17)

Topic: [SOLVED] OPIE Linux on Palm Tungsten E2 With GParted [SOLVED]

Hello,
I'm new at this so I don't know if I'm in the write section to post this, but...
I've been trying to make 3 partitions on a 245MB SDHC card ( FAT16 - 2 MiB, linux-swap - 60 MiB, and ext2 - 100 MiB) and the website suggested GParted. I am running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 and have downloaded the GParted Live .ISO file. What I'm wondering is how to burn it to a CD as an Image file and then how to run it off of the CD. Should I be using a special software to burn it (I'm using the burning software that comes with XP, should I be using something like Nero?)
If anybody could help me I would REALLY appreciate it!!!
~ Zam478 ~
P.S. If I haven't mentioned before, I need GParted becuase I need to make 3 partitions for an SD card so I can port Linux to my Palm Tungsten E2. I have googled other partition software, but I have found none and the website with instructions on how to port the Linux said "using a program such as GParted". Thanks again!

One day Microsoft and Apple will settle their differences and create one company named Applesoft. Then again, maybe Microsoft will go bankrupt, but I'll let you decide which one you think will happen.

Re: [SOLVED] OPIE Linux on Palm Tungsten E2 With GParted [SOLVED]

Hi!

You're right, you must burn this ISO image as an image file. I don't know if the Windows XS burning function can handle this task; Nero can definitiely, and the several free CD burning tools around (CDBurnerXP, DeepBurner, ...) should also be able to do so. Unfortunately, there's no general rule for how these tools are operated, so you'd best refer to the documentation that came with your tool of choice (ofr is available on the project's web site).
Afterwards, you must boot your system off that CD. GParted does NOT run on Windows XP, since it is a piece of Linux software. The CD brings up a small Linux system with all the required functionality and finally starts GParted on top of this Linux system.

Hi,

GParted is "only" a toolbox for manipulating your partitions and the file systems on them which must be run from within a Linux system.
GParted Live is a Live-CD (a USB key works as well) that contains a small Linux system, providing everything GParted needs, as well as GParted itself.

Ok, thanks! So if I connect an external SD card when I boot the CD, will it see the card?

One day Microsoft and Apple will settle their differences and create one company named Applesoft. Then again, maybe Microsoft will go bankrupt, but I'll let you decide which one you think will happen.

Ok, I just rebooted and selected my CD-ROM as the first device to boot from. I came to a screen where it asked me how I wanted to launch GParted (Normal, Failsafe, etc) I selected normal the first time. A lot of code flew up on my screen, then it asked me for the lanuage (33 for english). Finally it said [0] Launch X GParted [1]Configure X Gparted [2]Run Command Prompt. I selected [0] and this came up: X: cannot stat* /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting. *-I mean stat, not start. The choices aren't exactly what they said, but the first to had something about Launching or Configuring some X Gparted. Did I download a wrong file? I burned it with Nero's Burn an Image tool. It said it burned succesfully. Can somebody please help???

You can try the second option [1]Configure X Gparted, using VESA graphics driver and a resolution of 1024x768 pixels.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I tried that and I got the same error message. I noticed something that when it said: Beginning this or that that most of them said they couldn't start. Does that mean anything to you?

8 (edited by stormhead 2009-01-04 21:55:23)

Hi,

maybe there's something wrong with the CD. Just to be usre: The current GParted LiveCD image is named "gparted-live-0.4.1-2.iso", and it is (according to the download site) 100.026.368 bytes long.
The CD you've burnt is bootable, which means that you took the right steps when burning the image, and Nero worked well.
However, this persistent being unable to start the X server (which is the piece of software required to run graphical programs) could mean that the CD you've burnt is bad anyway - if your CD recorder can't handle the CD-R you used very well, it can occur that a CD looks good at first, but is not completely readable soon afterwards. In this case, you can do the following to circumvent this problem:
- use a different type or brand of CD-R media;
- burn at a lower speed (burning at high speeds usually results in more errors on the media - which is not a problem as long you don't have too many, since the error correction methods built into the CD drive can compensate them. However, if you have too many errors, error correction fails, and you get data errors on the disc);
- try CD-RW instead of CD-R media;
- upgrade you CD recorder's firmware; this will usually "teach" the recorder how to handle newer CD-R(W) media and eventually fix problems (Be very careful with this option - you must be 100% sure to use the right firmware, which can only be obtained from the CD recorder's manufacturer, since the wrong firmware will render the drive dead. In addition to this, the drive will be permanently damaged if any error occurs during the update process).

The CD Drive is about a month old. It can read and burn DVDs, RWs, and Regular ones as well as burn in image onto a litescribe CD. I had it burning at 48x so I will slow it WAY down.
Thanks!

Sometimes a different Live CD will work properly.  GParted is also included on the System Rescue CD.

11 (edited by Zam478 2009-01-04 22:28:33)

I succesfully partitioned my SD card: 2MB FAT16, 60MB Linux-Swap, and 100MB EXT2. I just have one more thing. I need to get files onto the FAT16 and the EXT2 partitions and when I put my card into the card reader it only shows the 23 MB of unallocated card space.

Hi!

Windows usually assigns a drive letter only to the first partition it finds on a removable media, and most Linux distribuatins as well mount only the first partition by default. You can work around the problem on both systems - but to explain how, we need to know if you're using Windows or Linux to fill the card.

13 (edited by Zam478 2009-01-04 23:18:31)

You need to know the types of files? I have a .ext2, linux.boot.cfg, .prc (palm OS), .gz, and an image file (i think... the instructions for the files are:

1.Download the files for OPIE: http://nerdfeliz.com/palmte2/new_image.ext2.bz2

2.Extract the archive: bzip2 -df new_image.ext2.bz2

3.Mount the image to a temporary directory: mount -o loop new_image.ext2 <temp>

4.Copy the files from the temporary directory to the root of the ext2 partition (requires root/superuser access).

5.Download the bootloader: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/hacknd … g_mirror=0

6.Download the kernel: http://nerdfeliz.com/palmte2/kernel/zImage.20070719 and rename it to "zImage"

7.Create a file named "linux.boot.cfg" and save the contents below to it.

#!/bin/sh (-)

ROOT_DEV=/dev/mmcblk0p3
    SWAP_DEV=/dev/mmcblk0p28.

Copy "cocoboot-0.4.prc" to the /PALM/Launcher directory of the vfat partition (if the directories do not exist, create them).

9.Copy "zImage" and "linux.boot.cfg" to the root of the vfat partition.

10.Unmount the SD card and boot from the program "cocoboot."

Those are the files and what I need to do with them.

Hello Zam478,
yes, I'm still checking it ! You only can do the downloads with Windows; all other stuff of your instructions requires a working Linux distro. I just checked, whether "GpartedLiveCD" is appropriate : nope ! "gzip" does not cope with "bz2"-packed files. But I found an alternative here. Download the ISO-file and burn a CD as you did with "Gparted". Copy all downloaded files on a USB key, boot "PartedMagic" from CD with the key and the SD card already plugged in (they get instantly mounted). Click on the Desktop icon, representing your key and your SD card ... and do nothing there! Start a terminal window ($-sign icon below), type "mc" (without quotation marks) at the prompt and change to "/media/sd.../<folder, where you put the downloads>" ("sd..." stands for the Linux volume name, e.g. "sda1"). Type "bzip2 -df new_image.ext2.bz2" (it gets written below in a line within the file manager and confirm), ...  be patient , the unpacked "ext2"- image has more than 100 MB. With the file manger you can easily copy from the USB key to your SD card, if you have both folders visible, eg. left side source (USB), right side target (SD). You change from left to right with TAB-key and you copy with F5 on the source side.

Hope, this helps
cmdr

Ok, thanks! That's complicated! Sorry about rushing you! I'm gonna have to print those instructions out! So if you're still checking it, is this all the instructions, or are you just testing to make sure it works correctly? Oh well, I'll just download the file and print out that reply!

By USB Key I assume you mean a USB Flash Drive?

I won't be online for about 10-20 minutes trying that out. I probably won't be back until about 7:00 PM EST.

18 (edited by cmdr 2009-01-05 01:45:15)

Hello Zam478,
yes, "key" is the French term for "USB Flash Drive" or "USB Stick", because you can put it easily to your key ring.
You might also use an external (USB or eSATA) harddisk or another (Photo-) Flash card. The "ext2" - image needs  - as I mentioned above - more than 100 MB unpacked, i.e. a 128 MB stick/card might be too small.

Regards
cmdr

I thought USB Key sounded familear. (I think that's how you spell familear, but I'm kind of in a hury, so I'll just leave it at that.)

Ok, I'm sorry, but I'm confused. I type in MC in the terminal and this blue screen comes up in that window with a bunch of folders. Now what do I do? I tried double clicking the Media folder and then going into SDB3 (the .ext2 partition on my SD card) and now what? There are also 4 SDA(1,2,et) folders that look like they're for the usb key, but the usb key is in one folder (CD something, sorry, I forgot). PLEASE HELP!!!

21 (edited by cmdr 2009-01-05 02:45:25)

Hello Zam478,
to get out of confusion, start "Gparted", which is also included in "PartedMagic" and you get your drives and volumes sorted. I think, you also have a built-in harddisk in your system. If it's a SATA drive it also gets "sd.." as name, probably "sda1"("sda2" to "sda4" , if there are four primary partitions). If it's a PATA drive, it's named "hd..", as well as the CD-ROM, unless it's also a SATA drive, which you don't see with "Gparted". The SD card should have "sdb1"(VFAT), "sdb2"(SWAP) and "sdb3"(EXT2) , according to your post. I would expect "sdc1" for the USB key.

If you downloaded the files with the same PC, try to find the downloads on the harddisk instead (NTFS might be a problem, however. Therefore I preferred the key.)

cmdr

PS: Sorry, I have to leave now. I 'll be back tomorrow.

Darn. I figured everything out except one thing. When I extract it, it says the .EXT2 file is corrupt. And also, it's not a SATA hard drive, I think it's an IDE (it uses the same ribbon cable as my CD ROM so that's what I figure it is.)

23 (edited by cmdr 2009-01-05 15:35:59)

Hello Zam478,

Zam478 wrote:

When I extract it, it says the .EXT2 file is corrupt.

You should repeat the download; perhaps something went wrong. I unpacked it with "bzip2" within "PartedMagic" and had no faults.

Zam478 wrote:

And also, it's not a SATA hard drive, I think it's an IDE (it uses the same ribbon cable as my CD ROM

IDE-cables have 80 conductors ( flat or rounded, 40 pin-holes at the connector), whereas SATA-cables have only 4 signal lines.
But you can rely on Linux; "hd.." means IDE (PATA), "sd.." means SATA.

cmdr

Ok, thanks, so yes, my HDD would be an IDE. I'll try redownloading it. I have to go now, and I won't be back until about 5 PM EST so I won't get a chance to try that until later today.

When I tried redownloading it I didn't get that error message, which is good. What's not good is the fact that it gave me an error message saying "stale NFS file"