Topic: initialize my new HDD

Hi,
I have a new HDD which i want to use for data storage.
However, windows disk management is having trouble initializing it so i was referred to use the live version of Gparted.
I placed the iso on a cd and booted from it..but there area few inputs i'm unsure of, plus a command comes saying i do not have the video driver to make Gparted visual or something (which i think is true).
At the very first "window" i don not know which selection to make ( i just chose the very first) is this right?

sorry for the vagueness of my problem
Booz

Re: initialize my new HDD

1. If you want to use ntfs format for the new disk, you can use the "Disk Management" from the windows system. This is valid for win 2000 and later ms systems.

2. Gparted CD must be burned as "Image", not as usual data cd.
At the initial boot screen you can choose the default options. If something goes wrong, you can try the other options (especially VESA, and old config). All this is necessary to create a Xwindows environment so that Gparted runs.

If you still have problems, go back here please, to see what happens!
smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi,
I used the "vesa" option and landed in a windows where my 2 drives were found. However, the one HDD
that needs initializing was very stubborn. The only option Gpart allowed me was to try and set a dsklabel
but when i pressed the OK button it would do nothing and my HDD remains "unallocated". Have no idea what to do next...

cheers

If your system is an Intel or AMD type system, you must set as disklabel "msdos". Other types are for different computer architecture, like Powerpc, Spark etc. If your disk is new, it is most probable that it is already labelled as "msdos".

Please, write here what is given by Gparted as disk Information and as partition information. (or, give screenshots).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***