Topic: Will not display, monitor won't display

Ok I have used Gparted a half dozen times.  It took me about a dozen attempts find a version that will work with my dual-core pentium D, 2 hard drives 250gb and 320Gb and XP Media center and standard CRT display.  The version of the disk that worked I can't tell you because the disk has died.  I have tried all choices and vesa doesn't work nor does anything else.  Please help this is only a 5 mth old PC.  I know the program works on my machine.  What am I doing wrong.

Neil

Re: Will not display, monitor won't display

You have to try with the latest version of the LiveCD , 0.3.4-8, and perhaps with the 2 previous versions (0.3.4-7 and 0.3.4-6). They have some changes in the system boot-up.

Please, give us more detailed info about your hardware, especially the motherboard and chipset type, the type of the hard drives (IDE or SATA), optical drive(s) and the graphics card type.

And, of course, what *exactly* happens when you boot the computer from the CDROM or DVD drive.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

3 (edited by neilhaase 2007-07-21 04:45:02)

I first tried 0.3.4-8, nice interface, and then 0.3.4-6 and then 0.3.4-3.  What happens is the opening screen comes up with the usual 6 or 7 choices.  Of which VESA is always an option, in the version that worked VESA was the correct choice and it always worked.  Both before and now when I make the wrong choice on the selection list and  the usual loading information appears on the screen for about 5-10 seconds and then the display goes into stand by mode and the PC crashes and I have to do a power off to reboot.

I have a HP Pavilion 1620a Dual Core Pent D 925 3GHz, Asus (OEM) P5LP-LE mbd w/945G chipset, Intel built in graphics, w/SATA 250gb and 320gb (maximum used space between both drives about 240GB, HL Lightscribe CD/DVD and lastly 2GB memory.

As mentioned earlier I have repartitioned both of these drives using Gparted Live cd using this system with great success.  One time it took over 10 hours to repartition both drives, its just that the reliability with your product exceeds any other products I have tried.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, I downloaded the following (download time is 1MB a second):

gparted-livecd-0.3.3-5
gparted-livecd-0.3.4-0
gparted-livecd-0.3.4-1
gparted-livecd-0.3.4-2   -  This is the only vesa that works
gparted-livecd-0.3.4-4
gparted-livecd-0.3.4-5
gparted-livecd-0.3.4-6
gparted-livecd-0.3.4-7
gparted-livecd-0.3.4-8

I copied each .iso to disk, then booted, and tried again and again on each disk to find something that worked.  Of course I tested 0.3.4-2 last, lucky me.  All other versions the video crashes my system every time after I select any video option.

I guess that my question is can you help me to use a more current version of the software.  I just used the old version with great success and it only took gparted 2 min.  I love this program even when it takes 10 hours.

Please Help if you can, thanks

A lot of work!

I see Intel integrated graphics this time too. Perhaps it has to do with the M/B or the chipset. Any way, your remark about the display going into stand by mode recalls in my memory that I had similar problems too in my computer (with P5B deluxe, intel 965 chipset, core duo 6600, but albatros/nvidia craphics card).

If your monitor turns stand by, you can press control+alt+backspace to "kill" X windows session and be back to the text terminal. Then, you can use the "Forcevideo" script to restart X with various options, or use the "reboot" command to reboot the computer without using reset or the power button.

I kept some notes, so I'll tell you what I did.

Moving a partition (especially moving the begining of it) can take long in some cases.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

5 (edited by neilhaase 2007-08-03 19:43:20)

Thank you very much, I wasn't able to test the ctrl-alt-backspace until today.  It now works perfectly.  Also pcuser gave me a plugin so I can boot gparted from the UBCD4WIN BOOT DISK.  Here is the link for the plugin: http://ezpcfix.net/plugins/gparted.zip.  Again thank you I love gparted and it works perfectly for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------
(UPDATE)

Oh!  By the way you unzip the gparted.zip file into the C:\UBCD4WIN\plugin\Multiboot-003 sub-directory.