1 (edited by orbital75 2007-07-19 18:33:32)

Topic: hdc: Lost Interrupte

I ran across Gparted and decided to give it a try. I ran the live CD but can't get it to load correctly.
this is the last line it produces.

hdc: Lost Interrupte

After it displays this line, it will wait 10 to 15 seconds then display it again.

Has any one heard of this happening and is there any way to correct this?

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
RAM: 1024 Gigs DDR Ram
Video: Geforce FX 5200 ( 128 DDR )
Sound: Intergrated SoundMax Audio
LiteOn Optical Drives ( Two )
Magnetic: ( Two ) 40 Gig ATA HD
( One ) 80 Gig ATA HD

Orbital

Re: hdc: Lost Interrupte

It seems that this message comes in cases of bad communication of the system kernel with some drives. It sometimes could come from old or damaged drives or controllers.

You can try to use another from the options in the initial boot screen. If  you have this message always, you can try to turn off APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) in the BIOS.

Another issue:
Which Gparted version did you use?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

3 (edited by orbital75 2007-07-19 20:10:56)

class413 wrote:

Another issue:
Which Gparted version did you use?

I've tried both LiveCD 0.3.4-0 and LiveCD 0.3.4-8
both produce the same result during a Live CD run

I've tried different resolutions but still the same result
not sure if that would have anything to do with it though.

I did let it run for a little while to see what would happen
I got this message.

hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: ATAPI 52X CD R-RW Drive 2048KB Cashe UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-Rom Driver Revision 3.20
hdc: lost interrupt

Is there any more information that I could provide
( Proving you tell me where to look )

Thank you for your help on this issue.

Orbital

It isn't screen or graphics problem, so choosing other graphics driver could't perhaps help.

It is related with the IDE bus. The kernel waits very long a response from an IDE device (hard drive or cdrom/dvd drive), so the operation comes to time-out.

Nevertheless, you can try all the options in the boot page, even those about HP laptops. Perhaps the versions 0.3.4-7 and 0.3.4-6 on cdrw could give something else, because the have differences in the boot process.

Another idea:

As I saw, you have 2 optical drives in your computer. Can you please try to use the other of them to boot the liveCD ? (perhaps you need to change the boot priorities in the BIOS setup).

And, finally, check your BIOS setup, if you can disable APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

5 (edited by orbital75 2007-07-20 02:47:06)

class413 wrote:

It is related with the IDE bus. The kernel waits very long a response from an IDE device (hard drive or cdrom/dvd drive), so the operation comes to time-out.

Ah, I see.

class413 wrote:

Nevertheless, you can try all the options in the boot page, even those about HP laptops. Perhaps the versions 0.3.4-7 and 0.3.4-6 on cdrw could give something else, because the have differences in the boot process.

Tried this with no luck.
I even burn the disc again just in case it was a bad image burn.

class413 wrote:

Another idea:

As I saw, you have 2 optical drives in your computer. Can you please try to use the other of them to boot the liveCD ? (perhaps you need to change the boot priorities in the BIOS setup).

Yep, Tried this as well with the same results.  ( Good idea though )

class413 wrote:

And, finally, check your BIOS setup, if you can disable APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller).

Well, I went into my Bios and looked for the APIC setting and found it.
I have two options.  PIC and APIC.

Haven't tried it yet, could you explain PIC.... I want to make sure it won't mess anything up.

Thank you for your help....

Orbital

Programmable Interrupt Controller is a controller that (roughly) controls communication lines between the processor and the various hardware parts of the system (disks and storage units, graphics card, various other cards like sound, network adapters, game ports, keyboard, mouse ... ).
It is normally integrated within the processor, since the early Pentium chips. But, at the time systems were much simpler than today. The use of systems with more than 1 processors and many I/O channels needed a better coordination. It seems that the ACPI makes the system running faster. ACPI can be handled by win2000 and xp, but not by older ms systems, like 98, 95 or msdos. So, with newer systems ACPI is to be enabled.

With Linux, we need sometimes to disable ACPI for various reasons related to the specific kernel parameters. In an installed system, we can do it with some boot parameters in the boot configuration file.

In your case, you need to run Linux just as the support system to run Gparted (I understand that your usual system is windows and you just want to resize a partition). So, you can try to disable this ACPI BIOS feature to see if the Linux system will boot and work. This change is reversible, so you have to undo it after resizing and testing.

Can you, please, give me your BIOS type and version?

Awards Bios Setup Utility Version 2.01

The Screen flashed so quickly it's hard to read it off
fast enough.  Is there away to make it pause for a moment?

I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Orbital

You can usually pause the screen with the "PAUSE" key.
In the first few moments on the boot process, there is displayed (for a few moments) info about graphics card. Next, there is info about the motherboard and the BIOS.