Topic: problems at boot

Hi! Here is my (brand new, indeed) configuration: motherboard Asus M2N-E, Ram 2 GB (Ddr-2 800), processor Amd Athlon 64 X2 x86_64, two hard disks (Maxtor Ide 300 GB + Maxtor Sata-II 80 GB), 1 LG dual-layer Dvd (read & write) drive, Usb wireless keyboard + mouse, monitor HP w2207, video card nVidia GeForce 8500 GT Gainward. I am actually running Fedora 7 with Gnome.
I happily downloaded and transferred the latest ISO of Gparted&CloneZilla on Cd (also checked MD5sum).
The first problem I encountered at boot was with autoconfiguration: when I had to write down my language, keyboard seemed to be off. However I kept trying and have found that laptop HP - config2 is the only one working on my hardware sad
The second problem is that my Sata-II was not detected at all. Even though I could execute all usual operations on the Ide drive (create, shrink, copy, delete partitions and so on) without problems, it is very disappointing being unable to work on what is really my /dev/sda, but only on what Gparted recognizes as /dev/hdb (LG is /dev/hda -- of course this depends on Primary master/slave distinction, but it is okay).

This post of mine is not to complain, but only to let you know about specific malfunctions.
New hardware demands advancement and refinement on your programme too. It still works great, but IMHO in the next future you should pay more attention both to x86_64 architecture, and to Sata-II drives.
If you happen to know how to avoid such glitches, please just let me know.

Thx for your attention and greetings from Rome, Italy!

Re: problems at boot

I found that there were BIOS issues with the M2N-E Asus motherboard (with nvidia chipset) concerning among others the SATA controller, that needed a BIOS update.

Asus BIOS can configure SATA ports to bee seen by OS like IDE. I don't know if this could affect the  hard disk detection by gparted, but you could try perhaps another setting on this.
Anyway, my own computer has an Asus motherboard too (with intel chipset), with SATA HDdrive + IDE detection in the BIOS, and I have no detection problem by gparted.

Another tip you can try is to use the 0.3.4-7 or 0.3.4-6 liveCDs on cdrw. There are differences in hardware detection.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***