Topic: NEWBIE: W2k boot partition move

Hello,

I don't know whether this is an often asked question, but couldn't find a solution through searching (or better am unsure about what I found).
Situtation:
I have a 40 GB disk with two NTFS partitions.
The boot partition (NTFS) resides in an extended partition.
The data partition (NTSF) is a separate partition.

Then there is a 400 GB new disc without any data on.

What did I do?

1) I tried to copy the extended partition of the 40 GB disc to the 400 GB disc. But that didn't work. Neither did work to create an extended partition and copy the boot partition into the newly created extended partition.
2) Copied the boot partition out of the extended partition and did resized its size (from 15 GB to 100 GB) to the new 400 GB disc. Rebooted system, chcksk took place and was succesful and saw the newly created copy.
3) Downed the system.
4) unplugged the 40 GB disc and made the 400 GB disc the master.
5) Upon restarting the system the system does not boot. (I supsect that it either doesn't find the MBR or needs something else to boot the new copy).

What do I have to do now to get the system to boot?
Start from the w2K installation CD and repair system (and re-apply the servicepack and other updates?)? Or is there something else to do?

thanks for any help

Markus

Re: NEWBIE: W2k boot partition move

I think something is missing above:

Are you sure that your *w!n* boot partition is a logical drive within an extended partition? I think w!n doesn't like it.

1) Copy didn't work: the "extended partition" isn't a partition like the "other" main partitions. It is an enclosure with other partitions in it.

2) Did you copy the boot partition not in the same disk but in the new disk. ? Otherwise you couldn't expand it up to 100 GB. Normally, you had to do 1 or 2 reboots at least after the check.

3-4) Did you verify that your system worked before changing the 400GB to master?

5) Of course, the 400GB MBR contains the partition table but perhaps lacks the boot code. This can be fixed with a tool or command contained in the Recovery Console from the w!n cd. But, your new boot partition has to be marked as "bootable" by gparted (or active, in the m$ terminology). I think there is no need to reapply the service pack (bot sure about that, but even then, it's better than reinstalling w!n+software from scratch).
The recovery console is just a command prompt with very restricted functionality.

Take note of the command "fixboot" too, that fixes the boot sector of the system partition.

Furthermore, to copy a partition, it's better to use the programme "clonezilla".
Try to repair the system that way. If something goes wrong, you can take back your old disk and restart the story!
smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi Markus,
I don't know where you got the 40gb hdd, but I know this: Windows would not allow itself to have a boot slice in an extended slice. So at some time before, you or a buddy has done this. I don't know Linux too well but I am paid to work with Windows and Solaris, so I know that this is not how WIndows would have wanted it.

As far as I can tell, everything class413 suggests will work, but I think that there will still be an issue with Windows. I suggest, strongly...that you reconsider reinstalling Windows & do it first. Give it 20gb or so, (I can't imagine why anyone would need more Windows space). Then fill up the rest with the OS's of your choice.

Incidentally, OpenSolaris is my favorite choice: Debian64 is excellent as well, if you want to stay with the Linux kernel. Here is an idea, purchase a $20. swap drive kit, use that 40gb for Windows and the 400gb for *nix. Whatever you do chose; NEVER PLACE WINDOWS BOOT UPON EXTENDED. There will inherently be issues.

When you do Windows, place it first...you must let it boot and recheck and so on until it is said and done, then you can can install whatever else you desire. If you are computer savvy enough to evolve from a 40gb hdd to a 400gb hdd, then you are certainly able to advance from Windows to the *nix of your choice.

Here is my suggested hdd layout:

40gb hdd
/dev/hda          Windows

400gb hdd
/dev/hda1        2gb         swap
/dev/hda2       100gb      Debian64
/dev/hda3       100gb      Fedora
/dev/hda4       195gb      OpenSolaris Developers Edition

Take note there is only 397gb when you have a 400gb hdd. Your 400gb hdd will probably not have 400gb, that is just an industry standard. Like with a motorcycle, a 500 can be a 490cc or a 510cc, yet still in the 500 category. Likewise with the hdd, it will be a little shy, probably. A swap drive larger than 2gb may cause memory leaks or loops, any smaller is just too dang slow. lol

Notice that OpenSolaris has a larger slice, when you get to using it...it won't be long till it is your main OS.

Hope this helps,
Chooch

First, we don't know if the system's processor is 64 bit, to support Debian 64.

Next, I love very much VMS, I worked on it for quite long in the past, nevertheless I wouldn't push our friend Markus to buy a Vax mainframe cool Finally, I know many people that would tell "just put all that in trash and go to the... apple" big_smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi,

ok. Lots of jokes about me. .. and you are right. Well, VAX and VMS migth be an option if I would have and WNT system (VMS+1=WNT).

So, first I have to correct.
The boot partition I claimed on the 40 GB drive isn't the boot device. The boot device is the Data partition (Weired configuration, I know). Anyhow, currently I am still working on it, but with some wrong ways I think now I am on the way to get it done.

So here step by step (need to have  a look at my machine as it is currently running):

1) Copy and resize the boot partition (so the one holding \winnt) from the 40GB to the 400 GB drive and flag the new partition as "boot"
2) get it chkdsk'ed
3) Reinstall (maybe recovery console would work too, but ...) winnt as described from MS in a different directory (that is where I currently are while writing this). Strange is that there the 400 GB drive is claimed to be a 131 GB drive .. will see what the outcome of this will be. ... After performing the install changing boot.ini to point back to the original \winnt folder.
4) Creating a new partiton and copying the data from the data partition of the 40 GB drive to that new partition on the 400 GB drive.

BTW, to cover the time now while the install is running: Nope the system is 64bit so Debian64 is not an option. Nor are Solaris or Fedora.

OK, got a some problems while performing step 3 ... need to rearrange some things.

Keep you posted.

Any cheers?

Markus

Hi,

so finally made it. Here is the step-by-step description:

Steps 1-3 as described above.
4) Delete temperory windows folder and folders and "documents and settings" that belong to the temp-win.
5) Add registry key under HKLM\CurrentControlSet\services\atapi\parameters
EnableBigLba
DWORD
0x1
This is supported from SP3 on (see MS support for more info)
6) Reboot to get support for LBA
7) Create new partition in the now available free space
8)Copy Data from data partition on 40 GB to new partiton.

Presto.

I'm impressed of gparted ... Really cool

Cheers
Markus

So, the difference 131 - 400GB was due to LBA.

(PS Stories about vax and the apple weren't jokes about you, I just remembered some very good friends of mine! )