Topic: Deleted partition

Okay,

I was trying to mess with my usb hard drive with gparted, but it would not show it. So then I saw the option to name the hard drive that was already on my computer, I thought okay this will be nice instead of having this weird name I can put my own. Well that was a bad idea, it deleted my partition for my computer, and now I cannot get it back. Is there a way to get it back??? 

Please I know this was stupid, but PLEASE help me.

Thank you

Re: Deleted partition

What do you mean by "weird name" and how did you try to change it? Do you mean the Disklabel command?

How did you find that the partition was deleted ? Did you try to use gparted (or any other software) to see your disk?

A good recovery tool you can try is TestDisk:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Ok

Here is the exactly what I did. I went to the option Device then to disk label and that is what deleted my partition. I tried using testdisk (on ultimate boot cd). the program analiysed my hard drive and and found a 30GB partition, but my partition was more like 80GB.

I really need help.

Thank you for helping me out.

I'm afraid you confused "disklabel" with the labels we give to the diskettes we format in w!ndows "format" program and command prompt.

Changing the "disk label" means that we put a new partition system to the disk. It is a rather strong tool and, I think, we need it only if we want to use the disk in another architecture system. Disks for x86-type PCs usually have the "msdos" label.

Please, try to use the latest "testdisk" (perhaps you had an older version in the ultimate boot cd).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***