Topic: not booting on my system

I am using Gparted to partition my hard drive for a linux installation.

The system runs an asus mb, intel pentium 4 ht, 1GB ddr2 sdram + 516 MB gskill ddr2 sdram, geforce 3x video card, and a blank western digital caviar sata 160 G hd. 

The system, until last week, was an HP (the bios is also HP) a1010y, most hardware except hard drive, gskill ram, and video card came with the a1010y package.  The system had windows XP installed, which in a destroyed mode is on a hard drive sitting on my coffee table.  The video card is installed with a windows driver, I haven't installed a linux driver for it yet, but then again I don't have an operating system right now.

Back to GParted, the menu for boot options shows up when I boot from the cd.  When I choose the first option, to boot auto config, it displays some text on the screen for about 3-4 seconds and then spits out text faster than I can read.  I can only read what it says at the very end which gives a code followed by an init abort on the kernel and something about the clock.

I may be able to give further detail about the error message, but usually it helps to see the beginning and not the very end.  I have no idea what to do here..

Re: not booting on my system

Can you try other boot options from the boot menu, please?

I think there is no reason to not boot. Did you try to boot this computer with any other Linux live cd (i.e. Knoppix or any other)?

Futher, by "blank disk" , do you mean that it is an all new hard disk?
Do you see this disk in the BIOS setup and in the P.O.S.T. screens?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I tried booting from some of the other options - they all did the same thing.

I tried to boot the computer from a linux live cd - it hits an error and quits.  It does this immediately after it loads hardware drivers.

By 'blank disk' I mean it is a new hard disk.  The old one was running windows and I had to disconnect it from the motherboard to get the computer to at least boot into the bios.

In the bios, I can see this disk.  Don't know about P.O.S.T. screens-not sure if I remember or even know what that is..

Thanks for the help.  I'm trying to salvage this computer.

P.O.S.T. is Power On Self Test.
This is the first thing BIOS does when we push on the power switch of the computer. There, we can see in a text screen the graphics adapter, the RAM test and information about the hardware components found by the BIOS.
You can pause these screens by the "Pause" key of the keyboard.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***