Topic: [SOLVED]Can't resize nfts partition!!!!!!

I have a dell m170. I recently just wiped the hd clean and did a clean re-install of windows. My partitions are as follows.

1: Fat 16 45mb
2: Main 75 gb nfts
3: Unpartitioned 65mb

When I try to resize my main partition, it errors out at step 1 of 1. Thank you in advance for the help.

Re: [SOLVED]Can't resize nfts partition!!!!!!

Do you use the gparted liveCD? Which version?
Or gparted in any other tool livecd?

Before resizing the ntfs partition, you must defragment the disk space, and to take care that nothing is written to the area you want to free. Please, read carefully the documentation:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I am using the latest version. I have defragmented about 5 times thus far. How do I tell if there is data where I want to resize? It won't even let me take 5mb off of the partition.

You can look in the w!ndows defragment screen. In w!n 2000 and xp, green lines mark parts that can't move. If there are green lines at the right end, so there is problem.

You can try to disable the "virtual memory" (swap) in the w!n configuration, defragment and then retry gparted livecd. Sometimes this works (you can re-enable swap after you finish with resizing).

What is the No1 Fat partition on the disk? I don't think that w!n install from zero creates more than 1 partition.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

5 (edited by xlc210 2007-07-09 21:40:39)

No, it is the dell diagnostics partition from the factory. I decided to just leave this be, and reformat the existing windows partition only. I only did this to retain the media direct capabilities of the laptop. However, I would like to now split this main partition into an OS partition, and a media / games partition. I will try your tips tonight and post back. Thank you. If you have any other ideas let me know so I can try them out. Thanks.

It is also funny because I can't add any addtional space to this partition also from what I remember. That shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that there may be data at the end of the partition.

Another idea, as you have the w!n install cd, would be to reformat that main partition another time, make your 2 new partitions and re-install w!n in the one of them!

This takes some time, but it gives a solution. I suspect that something is written near the end of the partition. Normal win xp home doesn't this, I think, but it could be a special OEM version.

It is Win XP MCE. This ticks me off. Is there a reason why it wouldn't let me expand the partition with the little bit I have unpartitioned too? The unpartitioned space is located after the main partition so I don't see what the problem would be.

Unpartitioned space is very small, just 65mb. Disk space is allocated by larger blocks of sectors, so there is usually a small part unallocated, at the end of between partitions.

Temporarily disabling the virtual page file and defragging again did the trick. Thanks a lot!