Topic: Boot GParted from Windows NTFS file system

I can boot GParted from linux.
Is there any possibilities to boot the GParted from Windows NTFS file system ?

Thanks
-Ahsan

Re: Boot GParted from Windows NTFS file system

Gparted is a Linux program and needs Linux to run.
The easy and safe method is to use the latest Gparted LiveCD. Old versions aren't perhaps safe to work on ntfs partitions.
You can download the ISO file and burn it in a cdrw (or cdr) as *image* file.
Please, read carefully the documentation. After ntfs resizing, you have to reboot at least 2 or 3 times in windows, so that it checks and adjusts the filesystem.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

So you want to say that, I can't boot GParted from NTFS file System.

Actually my requirement is as follows:

Say I have the GParted files in C:\ drive of Windows

Now I will use the GRUB as boot manager. So Grub will load the linux from the C:\ drive
and load the initrd image.

Using the linuxrc, I will load all the GParted files into the /dev/ram from NTFS file system.
As GParted has the ntfs support, I can mount the ntfs file system

So, If GRUB can load the linux from the NTFS file system then I think it should work.

What you think ?

I don't know very well, but Gparted down't mount any partition. It can't work on already mounted partitions, it just does resize and move jobs using "parted", and for the case of ntfs, using other program, since parted doen't have  native support for it.

In any case, even if this works, I think you wouldn't be able to work on the ntfs partition!

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***