Topic: Question about screen settings.

Hi!!! :-)

Can someone help me changing the display settings (screen resolution, color depth, etc.) of GParted LiveCD?
Where can I find these settings? What the path is?

I'm using GParted (Live CD), from some time now, but I'm making my first steps to Linux world, only these days, so I'm unfamiliar with Linux common settings (like changing screen's defaults).

THANKS!!! :-)

Speak "Friend" and pass, or...

Re: Question about screen settings.

With the liveCD, you try the default boot option first (autoconfiguration). If it fails, you can try other options. Very often, the  "Force VESA driver" works.
There are sometimes problems due to the graphics card or the chipset.

Unfortunately, there aren't 2 computers identical 100% smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi class413!!!smile

THANKS for your responce!!!;)

The default boot option (autoconfiguration), is always working perfectly!!!;)
However, I was wondering, if there is an option, to change the resolution, to 800X600, since I have an older (and smaller) monitor, and it is somewhat harder to read at the default resolution.:)

Oh, yes, I see! My own computer too boots in some very high resolution that is almost unreadable in the monitor.
The VESA option gives me a much better screen.

There is also another possibility, to "kill" X by control+alt+backspace, and then type in the text screen
Forcevideo
where we can select a specific driver (e.g. vesa) and a resolution. Nevertheless, in my system the selection of the resolution doesn't work as I'd like.  Try it, it can work better for you smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

5 (edited by chooch 2007-07-05 19:19:56)

Hi Elf Wizard,
LarryT and class413 have good advice, I take it as gosepl. But I noticed you are "making my first steps to Linux world".

Here is my unsolicited advice to you: Blow off Linux, it is a dead end road. Not because it isn't great but because it has been changed and rearranged so many times, that commands in some flavers won't work in others and so on. 10 years from now, Linux will have gone the way of DOS.

Step up to Unix, you have a learning curve ahead of you anyway, might as well make it count. OpenSolaris absolutly rocks and its free, with tons of accurate documentation created by the people who wrote the OS. That is much different than Linux docs, which ususally come from people who come from a one sided view.

Like so: Red Hat users use YUM, while Debian users use APT. But all Solaris versisons use PKGADD, Unix is more uniform in its commands and simply better than Linux. I am all about OpenSolaris, but FreeBSD is equally as potent. Both of these kick Linux butt all day long.

Have a nice day,
Chooch

Thanks for your suggestions!!!wink
I'll try them.