1 (edited by bjobreiskoll 2007-07-04 09:32:08)

Topic: gparted-livecd wont recognize my vmware disk

Hello,

using gparted-livecd-0.3.4-8 under vmware 5.0 running RHEL none of the partitions are shown by gparted.

---
>gparted /dev/sda
==========
libparted: 1.7.1
==========
Could not stat device /dev/sda - No such file or directory.
---

running RHEL shows that there are 3 partitions on sda (sda1-3). Maybe no driver for virtual SCSI-Devices are present?

Thanx in advance
BJO

and please move this post to the correct forum - sorry :-)

Re: gparted-livecd wont recognize my vmware disk

Have you tried to *boot* the computer by the liveCD, please?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Yes. The computer was booted with the live-cd.

BJO

I have the same issue with gparted-livecd-0.3.4-8

The virtual machine will boot up and opens the gparted tool but it sees no drives. I can boot from the previous version (gparted-livecd-0.3.4-7) and see the drives successfully. It appears that the driver for the VMWare LSI Logic SCSI controller is no longer being loaded on the new gparted livecd version, but I am not sure. How do I verify that? And if it is not being loaded, can that be corrected??

BTW - I rave about gparted and this minor annoyance is the first I have encountered. Thanks for such a great tool!! :-)

@ fortec
I think you can work with 0.3.4-7 too, with no problem. There are no changes in the resizing functions, just in the configuration and hardware detection / drivers.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

All -- I am getting the same issues. I've tried gparted-livecd v0.3.4-5, -7 and -8 and all give the same result. I can see the original disk (10GB) and I can see the new disk (5GB from the command "vmkfstools -X 15G server.vdmk), but I get this error on the original 10GB LUN:
Warning: Filesystem: unknown. Size = 9.90GiB. Flags = lvm. Unable to detect filesystem! possible reasons are: the filesystem is damaged, the filesystem is unknown to GParted, there is no filesystem available (unformatted).

I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4. inside VMware ESX v2.01. How do I expand the original 10GB LUN to 15GB?

Any help would be great. thanks...

Flags = lvm

I think the key is there.
Parted doesn't support lvm.

FYI: I un-checked the flags = lvm option, but gparted still will not let me re-size the drive

All -- thanks for your help/tips, but I've found a solution that uses both RHEL LVM and gparted:

Open a terminal window, type "df -h" and note the disk sizes.
power off the ESX VM.
vmkfstools -X 15G ./server.vdmk
power on the ESX VM
Boot into the gparted ISO CD-ROM and format this new LUN as ext2.
reboot.
Let the linux Os boot. Open RedHat; System Settings; Logical Volume Management.
Click on VOLGROUP00 Physical View
Click Extend Volume Group.
Choose the new LUN you just formatted above and click OK and Yes.
Click on VOLGROUP00 Logical View.
Click on LOGVOL00
Click Edit Properties.
Click Use Remaining Extents and then OK.
Open a terminal window, type "df -h" and make sure the VG is now bigger than it was in your first step.

I was also able to solve the problem by changing the line

scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic"

to

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

in the .vmx file for my virtual machine.  I then ran GParted and it correctly recognized the drives.  Of course you need to remember to change the line back before running the OS installed on the virtual machine again.

I think there is a bug in the interaction between newer Linux kernels (2.6.21 and above I think) and the Vmware buslogic SCSI controller.

e -- I tried the same thing, but using the ESX VIC GUI. I couldn't boot my Linux VM after changing the SCSI card that way. odd that the command line method would work. thanks for the tip. I hope this can help out others. smile

Still the same problem here. You have to change the scsi device driver in the options file. That's really annoying. Can someone fix that issue, please?

While I didn't have the scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic" line in my vmx file (or any scsi0.virtualDev line), I did have scsi0.present = "TRUE".  I added in the scsi0.virtualDev= "lsilogic" line after that, per ethomaseight's recommendation, and voila - it loaded properly.  I then resized my NTFS partition (after having expanded the vmware image with vmware-vdiskmanager and having booted into the XP guest after that).  Finally, I removed the  scsi0.virtualDev= "lsilogic" line, and booted into the XP guest.  Worked like a charm.