1 (edited by ryber 2007-06-29 17:35:30)

Topic: LiveCD won't load video with Intel 845G [SOLVED]

I have an Intel 845G video card (IBM desktop machine, Intel card built in) and the LiveCD won't load the video drivers.  I have tried Forcevideo, VESA at all resolutions, and it won't work.  Any ideas?

Re: LiveCD won't load video with Intel 845G [SOLVED]

Do you have any message? do you go to a text screen? to any black screen?
Please, be more specific. smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

ryber wrote:

I have an Intel 845G video card (IBM desktop machine, Intel card built in) and the LiveCD won't load the video drivers.  I have tried Forcevideo, VESA at all resolutions, and it won't work.  Any ideas?

Did you try the last 0.3.4-8 iso ?
I fixed this problem in last release, so .... it should work :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I have tried it on two different machine types, both with the same graphics chip, and get the same results each time.  I get the message telling me that the GUI wouldn't load, and I need to run Forcevideo.  I run Forcevideo, and have attempted VESA with all resolutions, as well as trying several different choices besides VESA as well, all to no avail.  I am using the latest version, I downloaded it this morning, 0.3.4-8.

Sorry for being so vague in my first message.  I was in the middle of a few different machine installs, and didn't post as much information as I intended to.

ryber wrote:

I have tried it on two different machine types, both with the same graphics chip, and get the same results each time.  I get the message telling me that the GUI wouldn't load, and I need to run Forcevideo.  I run Forcevideo, and have attempted VESA with all resolutions, as well as trying several different choices besides VESA as well, all to no avail.  I am using the latest version, I downloaded it this morning, 0.3.4-8.

Sorry for being so vague in my first message.  I was in the middle of a few different machine installs, and didn't post as much information as I intended to.

Okay.
Have you some time to test each boot option ?
I mean : mkxf86config,with or without framebuffer, intel, i810, and autoconfig,
and tell how bad it owrks ?

Would be really helpful !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

mkxf86config, for some odd reason, works today.  I can't count how many times I booted with that option yesterday, and it hung at the same place.  Today, it works just fine without entering anything on mkxf86config.  Thank you for your help, and if I can figure out how to recreate the problem of it not booting properly, I will post more info.

what the hell is it :-/
really weird !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I changed the title to solved.  I guess if I can recreate the issue, I'll post another message.  Thanks again.

An idea is to take all power cables off (computer and monitor), wait 5-10 minutes and boot again. I sometimes had problems with monitor synchronisation, with the monitor not working in graphic modes after reboot. I don't know what happens exactly, but this method gives sometimes the solution.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***