1 (edited by thespot 2007-06-22 21:31:35)

Topic: [Solved] Blank video before graphics start

I've got a Dell Dimension E520 that I want to shrink the partition on. The livecd starts and runs through all the text, but at the end, all the adjustment lights on the monitor blink constantly and I don't have any video.  I've tried the 4-7 and I'm downloading the lastest 4-8 beta.

If this won't work, is there something else besides gparted I can use to shrink the partition.
XP Pro is loaded on the machine, not linux. Just want to make extra partitions. Thanks a lot for your help.

Ron

Re: [Solved] Blank video before graphics start

Yes,
hit ctrl alt backspace, then you are back to the shell
Run Forcevideo script, and try to set vesa driver and a good resolution : maybe 1024x768.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

ctrl alt backspace didn't do anything. The screen goes blank after I've already set the keys & language. It looks like it's about to go the graphic utility but doesn't. Any other ideas? Thanks for the quick reply

i should say I've tried all the options under the F2 button.

Could you try the other options at prompt ?
specially : mkxf86config, and VESA driver too.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

after many diff tries/options, I got the ctrl asl backspace to work. How do i start the script mentioned?

you should read it on the screen :-/
something like that : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/li … ecd-03.png
So just write Forcevideo and hit "ENTER"
gparted # Forcevideo

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Larry, thanks so much for your help. I just got to try the beta version and it worked great. Thanks again for such a handy program. I have several cd's of this that I keep handy.

smile
Happy if it gives any help ...
Well , in fact, we did it for that :-p

Larry
GParted-project Admin

As you try to work on ntfs partitions, please read well the documentation, and don't forget to do all the necessary reboots. Rather 1 time more, that less!

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***