Topic: add extended partition to cause whole hard drive is unallocated

I have been trying to add a extened partition(ext3) on my currently hard drive, success, but I add new partition(ext3) on it got error, when I reboot GParted ,the program tells me that the whole hard drive is unallocated,in fact my system is in used fine, use: sudo fdisk -l ,seen a additional /dev/sda3 extended linux partition and two original sda1 and sda2. use: sudo parted , got massage: "Invalid partition table on /dev/sda -- wrong signature 0", Ignore it , and delete sda3, problem have been resolved. Suggest don't use extended partition option. I am running GParted 0.2.5 (0.3.3 also, and same as a LiveCD off a SystemRescueCD 0.3.4.7) in liunx system ubuntu 7.04 only.

Re: add extended partition to cause whole hard drive is unallocated

GParted-0.2.5 is bugged, DON'T USE IT ANY MORE !

BTW, extended partition is not a file system ! It is extended as it is called. Into an extended partition you may create a logical partition witch may be ext3.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

This would appear to be my problem I have Windows on one partition Ubuntu on an Ext3 partition .I have a 37GB unallocated partition that I want to put another updated Ubuntu OS on but likewise when installing I get the whole Drive as unallocated.
Is the only way round this to uninstall the OS on the Ext3 parition and rename it Fat32 or something.
Anyone got any ideas would be gratefull not to have to uninstal if possible.
cheers
fatherflap

use; sudo fdisk -l,find the new partition you created,if appear, try delete it use "sudo parted",because  GParted unviable in this time.

You can have only
- 4 main partitions, or
- 1 to 3 main partitions and *one* extended partition with as many logical disks in it as you like (up to 15 I think), with any filesystem you like in each of them (FAT, ntfs, ext2, ext3 etc). Ext3 isn't an extended partition, it's just a filesystem in a partition.

There is no "unallocated partition", just "unallocated disk space" where you can create new partitions or extend an existing partition.

I think there is no need to uninstall the current ubuntu installation.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF class413 post. There are only 4 real partitions. If you can still see Ubuntu, then you can probably still use it. Don't really understand why you would want to run Ubuntu when you can get OpenSolaris for free, but whatever.