Topic: Strange Problem... Help!

Hi (sry for my english not using it well)
I used Gparted and everything is good and working but 1 strange thing appear everytime when i start winXP. "new hardware was found...etc" it founds "generic storage device", its annoing 4me coz i must waiy every time (if not my 3rd partition is not shown! sad ). Ok... Any help?? Im noob hmm eehhh

Re: Strange Problem... Help!

After resizing XP, you must reboot twice : did you do this after using GParted ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

At least twice, and leave it work for a few minutes, to update the system files.
What did you do: shrink ntfs partition? make new partition?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

thx for quick reply, yes i rest. system 2twice and problem still exist. Something is still wrong(i deleted 1 partition and ad free space to another). Problem exist with this "boosted" partition, system see it as "generic storage device" (a new one).

You can't "add free space" to a partition, you can only shrink a partition to make some free (unallocated) space in the disk. 
With win partitions, I prefer to do 1 step at the time only, reboot, check, reboot (automatically), and reboot a 3rd time too. Next, I do the next step with gparted.
You don't give any detail about your system: operating systems installed, how many disks, partitions before, which gparted version, installed or livecd?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

eer... i am a noob with all this stuff. system winXp only 1disk (160gb sata). i used newest gparted (livecd). before using of gparted it look like this: c:(10gb) d:(47gb) e:(45gb) f:(45gb)... now it looks like that: c:(the same as before) d:(same as before) e(90gb) [with this one i have problem, all works after "instal generic storage device" but why every time i start this crapy windows?? ]

What the Disk Manager in winXP shows about your disks?

Do you know how to run the xp disk manager?
right click on the "my computer" icon, press "Manage", and choose "Disk Management" in the new window that opens.
You must have a Disk 0, marked as "Basic", something like 147GB, and the partitions with their type, total size, free space, filesystem etc.

Don't afraid to give as much information as you can. Each system can be totally different from another. And, when doing things on the partition and disk system, you needn't hurry. Do a step a time.
In your system, I would first delete the unwanted partition (i.e. f: ), reboot, second reboot, even 3rd reboot, see what win shows, and next I would expand e: in the unallocated space, with all the reboots and checks. I know this takes longer, but I think it is better to control anything as much as I can.