Topic: backup and run

Hi,

I just downloaded and also I am downloading fedora.

I have winxp with 80G ,ran defrag and now want to resize the ntfs partition to 60G and 20G for linux.

Now I havent used gparted before and dont know how to use but I beliee you burn the image to a CD and boot up. From there I can resize a partition somehow. Would I need to backup my drive incase i muck things up?

Re: backup and run

Have a look at docs : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Do i need to burn the image at a slow speed as i did it at 48X. I have nero 7 and i have 2 speeds listed only 48 and fast.

Also when i boot up with gparted I get  range of options with the keyboard and nothing like what it says in the help docs? What is it I start with ?

I want to make a 80G partition into a 60G and leave 20 for linux

jagguy wrote:

Do i need to burn the image at a slow speed as i did it at 48X. I have nero 7 and i have 2 speeds listed only 48 and fast.

It doesn't matter

jagguy wrote:

Also when i boot up with gparted I get  range of options with the keyboard and nothing like what it says in the help docs? What is it I start with ?

ah, yes sad
I must update the docs !!!!!
but this one is the most right : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/livecd/livecd.htm

jagguy wrote:

I want to make a 80G partition into a 60G and leave 20 for linux

Should make no problem.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Ok I dont get that new set of docs and i downloaded gparte dthe other day.
I can get into it y just pressing the defaults, so unless there is a major problem i will look at resize docs

About the live cd: don't just burn the iso file in an empty data cd. You must use the option to burn "Image" file on cd. Otherwise it will be no bootable.

With keyboard and language, I just press enter to keep default options and this works. You have an initial boot menu, with several options about screen, graphics cards and other hardware detection matters. Perhaps 90% of the problems are related to the graphics card drivers.

If your current win partition is ntfs, please read carefully the documentation and respect it! And, of course, take backup of critical files.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***