Topic: am trying to increase my ntfs partition and am not having any success

I am trying to increase my ntfs partition and am not having any success.

sda1 - 9gb ntfs, unallocated - 2gb, sda2 - 8gb ext3,  root - 512mb

This is my current layout, I would like to have the 2gb (unallocated) added to sda1 and if that can't be done then added to sda2 instead. I am currently using xubuntu 7.04 and installed the gparted program 3.3.0 but it won't let me unmount any partitions, get message saying to unmount manually, but I am not confident with this.

Then I tried using the xubuntu live cd which came with gparted 2.5 on it. It allows me to unmount the partitions and increase the size to what I want but when I try to apply this it can't do it, get error icon.

Then I downloaded and burned the latest live cd gparted 0.3.4-7 but I can't get it into the gui. I have tried Forcevideo using vesa and i810 (which is the driver on my computer) and various resolutions but with no success.

Any suggestions, anyone.

Re: am trying to increase my ntfs partition and am not having any success

Did you try to select vesa from the initial grub boot menu? (with the 0.3.4-7 live cd).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Yes I did and all I got was a black screen.

Thanks for reply

Try the following that worked in my system:

- I boot from the livecd with the VESA option from the initial boot menu.
- I select the default options for keyboard and language (press just ENTER).
- After the booting process, I'm into a black screen with a gparted window, not fully functional.
- I then press Control+Alt+Backspace, to kill X.
- A few seconds later I get a terminal screen (a text screen) with a "gparted" prompt.
(If there is no prompt, I think it appears by pressing the ENTER key.
- I enter the command "exit" (I type exit and press ENTER).
- Then, I go to a new graphical colour screen with the right window and icons.

Sometimes, I need to give "exit" a second time. I don't remember exactly why, but it works for me. I used it in that last weekend too shrink the ntfs xphome partition, with absolute success.

If this doesn't work, please be more specific about your computer: Graphics card, motherboard, ram ...

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thanks for the reply/suggestion.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Computer has integrated graphics intel i810, 512mb sdram, trigem cognac+ motherboard and pentium 3 1100mhz.

WOW...
No good news:
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/TriGem/profile/index.html

TRIGEM MAINBOARDS, pages in Korean, important settings in English, 4th link in the menu on the right is the jumper settings page on most of the pages. You can use BABELFISH to translate them from Korean to more or less understandable English. Below on this page is described which boards are used in E-machines
NOTE: It seems the Trigem website is dead, this is an alternative location for information. THESE PAGES ARE INCOMPLETE, I'M AWARE OF THAT. THIS IS A CACHED COPY.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am not sure what I am looking for or why on the Trigem motherboard site. I assume it has something to do with the jumper settings. Note other versions of gparted have  worked on this computer in the past without any jumper setting adjustments. However I have never tried increasing the ntfs partition before.

8 (edited by viking 2007-06-12 07:14:55)

Solved. I downloaded ntfsprogs and unmounted the partition manually, then used gparted from my applications menu in xubuntu and increased the size of my ntfs partition successfully. Thanks for such a great utility.