Topic: I'm a Newbie with Some Basic Questions...

After finally figuring on my own how to burn an iso image and boot to Gparted I figured I was home free. Well, not quite.

Given that I am a newbie and not a techie, could some one point me to an existing thread or supply a step-by-step plan to dual boot. The doc material didn't quite do it for me.

My specs are that I have a small 80gb c: hd on a Dell E1505. I want to dedicate about 30 gb of that C: drive to a new D: drive that I then want to install Vista on.

After I load the Gparted and click on the partition with the most space (C: drive), the new partition button is unavailable. Is this because I need to  reduce the size of the C: drive before I can create the new D: drive. Do I use the arrow keys to  do that? At that point, will the New button then be available? If so, do I then put in the size of the new D: drive? Also, not sure if I want the new D: drive to be a primary, extended or logical partition.

Sorry for sounding like such an idiot but better safe than sorry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

Re: I'm a Newbie with Some Basic Questions...

You need to resize C (from 80 to 50 by pulling the right end of the drive to the left) and then you will find yourself having a C partition and 30 GB of empty space. After that just create a new partition in the empty space.